flatheads in small rivers

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

flatheads in small rivers

Postby texascatman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:46 pm

i live in round rock texas and ihave been fishing the local creek fromage 10 till now i'm 28 i have had good luch with bass blue gill chanal cats just about every other fish except for the huge flatheads that live in the brushy creek thtas th ename of the creek and i know that they are ine there becouse i have seen them couhgt right in front of me and i fish the exact same spot with minimal succes some 7 and 10 pounders but the one i'm after are 20 30 and up to 40 lbs and the county record is 50 lbs the rig that i am using is 6500 c abugarcia reel couplerd with a 7' ugly stick 65 pound test sufix braid using a three way set up 24'' drop line to the weight and 12 leader or right on bottom using a flat no roll 2 oz sinker 80 lb test swivle the hooks that i use are 7 to 8 ot gamakatsu circle hooks is thta to small or to big also i've used all sorts of bait all live blue gills baby carp red horse suckers even gold fish from the pet store i haven't tried to use live shad yet becuas i've heard it is very dificult to keep them alive i just don't know what i'm doing wrong pleas help
texascatman

Postby dahlberg » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:35 am

hi tcm
Hmm, sounds to me like you're doing everything right.
I'm not at all familiar with the river you're fishing, but as a general rule the biggest cats ought to be where there are the most snags and the river is narrowest and/or has lots of bends.
If those features simply don't exist, I'd suggest fishing the most remote, difficult to access areas.

Keep cattin and your time will come!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions