Nile Perch Advice

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Nile Perch Advice

Postby Bob Daly » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 pm

Hi Larry: Looking for tackle advice on Nile Perch at Murchison Falls. Was figuring on the Lexa 400 with 80lbs braid with say 100lbs mono leaders. Similar lures I use for La Zona such as Super Shad Raps, Mag 20,30 etc.. If using live bait would you go with big circle hooks? Have to go with 2 piece rods as max length on British Air is 6ft 3in.
Have a Merry Xmas and best in 2014! 8)

Thanks Bob Daly--doradokiller
Bob Daly

Re: Nile Perch Advice

Postby dahlberg » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 am

yes on the circle hooks. don't know too much about the habitat there. once saw some video of guys fishing from shore and catching fish under floating debris in an eddy below the falls.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Hi Larry: Circle hooks were definately the way to go for the Nile Perch in Murchison Falls. We got a 135. 100, and another 100lbs and lost another the guides figured over 200lbs. By far the best wildlife viewing I have ever ezperiened. 8) :lol:
Off to La Zona in April so will of course tell Hector you said "hello"
doradokiller, Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:51 am

hi bob
thks for the report. glad everything worked out. speaking of La Zona, just got an email from Marcello, who's still opening up great new places, but all are related to fly fishing.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:03 pm

Right Larry! However waiting for Marcello to get permits to the dam I mentioned for really big dorado. Hope it happens!! 8)
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:19 am

I was going thru some old footage looking for a giant suribi I caught below a huge dam while dorado fishing and I think it's the same one you mentioned. I was fishing with a Paraguayan guy who had permission to tag. jillions of fish, but we didn't catch any real monsters. that being said, in retrospect, he was running the boat and we really didn't target the specific areas where the largest fish were most likely to be, i.e., where the largest forage hangs out in the largest shallow boulders in and near swift water.
btw, did you attend the Chicago musky show?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 am

HI Larry: Yes, attended the Chicago Musky Show. REally missed talking fishing with you and listening to your seminars. Crowds were down this year as most are heading to the show in Schaumburg, ILL. While there, I meet a young couple from Argentina who were shocked when I told them I fished for dorado at La Zona for years. They are opening a new lodge, Spree, on the Parana in April. They invited me down and could not take them up of the offer. Am sure they would love to have you come and get some good video of big suribi and dorado. Hope you hit the shows next season!!
Marcello showed me some photos of that dam I mentioned and they were amazing. Much larger dam than at La Zona. Heard they caught a dorado a few weeks ago which pegged the scales out. Figure over 70lbs.
You probably heard that ERwin Brown passed away a few months ago. Erwin went with to La Zona a few years ago and told us stories about when you were in your teens guiding him on the ST. Croix! Amazing man who most do not know is on the patent for the portable depth finder.
Looks like were going for big cats in Suriname next winter.
Keep us posted if you find a good Taiment outfitter, etc..
Thanks and best!!
Bob 8)
Bob Daly

Return to Freshwater Questions