Best Largie Fishing in the NA

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Best Largie Fishing in the NA

Postby RhettWheeler » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:04 am

I'm about to open a can of worms here:

If you guys could go anywhere in North America to go fishing for largies... where would you go?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to go on the ultimate largemouth bass fishing trip. I have a desire to get a 10+ lb fish.

I don't care what techniques: spinnerbaits, cranking, drop shotting, punching, whatever.

Where would you choose?
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Best Largie Fishing in the NA

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 pm

:P You are opening a can of worms, a can of stinky worms.

Falcon, Texas????

Clear, CA (maybe not now that they are no longer stalking it with trout???)

Maybe ...... a few places in Mexico???? That is still technically NA. LOL
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby puckfisher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:59 pm

You used several "key" words that I'm going to focus on. Ultimate, North America and10 pound plus largemouth bass. Ultimate implies you are willing to spend some bucks if necessary. In North America :Mexico and the South eastern US should be on your short list. I would seek out private lakes that you could access even if a fee is involved. I've heard of some fishing clubs that have private waters associated with abandoned stripmines in several locations in the south with enormous bass. Any public waters with reputations for brutes will have been heavily fished already. Your chance to show up, get a guide and start LANDING BIGMOUTHS IN THE TEENS seems remote to me. Larry might know some private waters (for a fee) that would suit your request. That approach might not spin your wheels but you're going to have to think a little differently to accomplish this mission.
puckfisher

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:45 am

In my experience in bass tournaments across the southern U.S. i would have to say the best bass lakes are Lake Fork near Dallas, which is TX's top bass lake, Sam Rayburn in east TX, Lake Amistad by Del Rio, TX, Lake Okochobee in south FL, and a few lakes in CA. I believe near Escondido, CA... also Guntersville in Alabama, and like he said, Falcon Lake in south TX. My personal day ever was on Falcon. I caught 5 fish that day ranging from 8-12 lbs. (Wish it was during a tournament...)
Gaebler20

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:28 am

puckfisher wrote:
> You used several "key" words that I'm going to focus on. Ultimate, North America
> and10 pound plus largemouth bass. Ultimate implies you are willing to spend some
> bucks if necessary. In North America :Mexico and the South eastern US should be
> on your short list. I would seek out private lakes that you could access even if
> a fee is involved. I've heard of some fishing clubs that have private waters associated
> with abandoned stripmines in several locations in the south with enormous bass.
> Any public waters with reputations for brutes will have been heavily fished already.
> Your chance to show up, get a guide and start LANDING BIGMOUTHS IN THE TEENS seems
> remote to me. Larry might know some private waters (for a fee) that would suit your
> request. That approach might not spin your wheels but you're going to have to think
> a little differently to accomplish this mission.

Yep willing to spend the bucks. Fishing is pretty much the only thing I'll spend money on for recreational purposes. I save so I can have fun.
Great suggestions regarding searching for some private lakes with fees involved. If anyone has any suggestions as to where to start to look for these, I'm all ears.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby puckfisher » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 am

Rhett: I know your post asks about largemouth bass but if you haven't done peacocks in the Amazon basin you are really missing out. They behave much like largemouths(not really bass you know) come to lures or flies without hesitation and you won't be looking for 10 pound fish, you be searching for 20+ pounders. 50 to 75 in a day is not unusual but the big boys don't just jump in the boat either. You might be working a huge school of butterfly peacocks (2-5 lbs.) on the surface for 10 minutes then out of nowhere 3 giant Tucanares (Barred peacocks) rush in to see what the commotion is all about and all hell brakes loose. Noise in the water does not scare them, it's like a dinner bell. You will be safe. You will see things you've only read about (pink dolphins, troops of monkeys, wildly colored, loud birds). The lodging and food are excellent. Save up for this trip. You will be amazed.
puckfisher

Postby Dan Hanon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:24 am

I'm with Puck. Forget the largemouth, go for peacocks! Much more exciting and the environment is cool. Like Puck said, you have a legitimate chance at a 20lb+ fish. Even the smaller 8-10 pound fish fight very hard.
Dan Hanon

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 am

Can you guys recommend a trustworthy outfit for amazon basin trip?
RhettWheeler

Postby Dan Hanon » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 am

RhettWheeler wrote:
> Can you guys recommend a trustworthy outfit for amazon basin trip?

Kaluapesca is excellent, I fished with them this January. Check out intrepid-angling.com for details.
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:53 pm

Talk to Guy at "Fishing With Larry". Make a long list of questions. Go on line and look at the sites that advertise the floating cabins. You are flown into a remote spot and moved upriver to a new location every day. Two to a "cabin" Flush toilets, air conditioning, hot showers. You can throw flies or lures. See if you feel comfortable with the answers you get. The planning is half the fun. Go with someone you know if you can. I was there in January with my son and planning another trip now. I've fished the Agua Boa (fly only many times), Xeurini, Rio Negro tributaries, UrUbaxi to name A FEW. Larry D. will help with questions also. Go for it.
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions