Another Mr. Whiggley question

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Another Mr. Whiggley question

Postby puckfisher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Larry : Getting geared up for another Amazon trip. Visited River 2Sea website and pulled up Mr. Whiggley for sale with "product no longer in stock" label . What's up? I didn't know they were ever on sale. Are they stocking up because they sold out? Went to Tackle Warehouse and looked under "Full Body Swimbaits" and found probably 200 products. No Mr. Whiggleys. Can you recommend any of these other swimbaits? I'll be flyfishing mostly but want to try other things. They all look pretty similar. Need some assistance. Thanks
puckfisher

Re: Another Mr. Whiggley question

Postby dahlberg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:46 am

They were promised delivery by the factory by late august, then it got moved again and again. They are heavily backordered and waiting for the first delivery.
Believe me, I'm as bummed as you are.
I don't know of anything similar. I'd suggest bringing some stuff for catching bait and a few circle hooks. you can learn a great deal about pcocks by seeing how they respond to live bait versus artificials.

good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:46 am

Yes, that's a bummer. I've been to Amazon a number of times and you're the only guy I've seen throw large soft swim baits(Mr. W). I like watching the action and the strikes. There are tons of large , soft, plastic , line through swimbaits on market. The only real difference I can see is the tail. Most others have a paddle tail. I cannot test buoyancy with purchasing other products, I'd like something that casts easily and runs just subsurface. Can you steer me in a direction until Mr. W can be bought?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:09 am

All the paddle tails slow down much too quickly, which is why I made the lure in the first place. I honestly have to say there really isn't another substitute for what Whigs does. Probably the closest for some of the moves whigs makes would be a big banjo minnow, but it lacks stability and rigging is touchy. Cesare used to sometimes uses them when he runs out of Whiggleys he's swiped from my tackle box, but since the last trip he's gone to the big subsurface wideglide worked a foot or so below the surface, so you still get to see the action most of the time.

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions