Waxwing for Peacocks

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Waxwing for Peacocks

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:06 am

Larry,

The smallest freshwater Waxwing is 138mm, but I also want to use the next smaller size for peacocks, which is a saltwater version. If I replace the single rear hook with a treble, will my hookup percentage be good? I would prefer to have the one single hook near the front, but no hook eyelet. Maybe since peacocks engulf their prey, the rear treble will be okay? What's your take?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Hanon

Re: Waxwing for Peacocks

Postby dahlberg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:47 am

It can be a bum hooker with the double hook in the rear. The treble should help. Just have to try it and see. Brazil or Florida?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:43 am

Brazil, Rio Negro basin and Xingu. I am also bringing a couple subsurface Wideglides. I have the large and small versions
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Dan: Haven't tried these waxwings but had a blast with a salt water surface lure called the Ba-donk-a-donk last Jan. in the amazon. Bomb proof, about 5 inches long, rattles and glides easily side to side. Cool colors,too.You won't tire out like you do with choppers and my son and I got on a system where I chucked the lure into trees and brought it out fast and as soon as it cleared the edge of the cover he threw a large peacock streamer on his fly rod( I prefer my Puck's Not-so-baby Peacock fly) just behind my lure. They either hammer the surface lure or whack the fly after watching this noisy surface disturbance. We laughed so hard at the ruckus we created. Try it.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:21 am

That is an excellent high water technique. When they get back in the willow like stuff I used to use small saltwater moldcraft softheads with three bladed plastic buzz blades ahead of them with no hooks and do the same routine. I agree ruckus is right!
The chopper is a great lure, but there are many other options that often are much more productive. Especially where all they've seen and been caught on is choppers!
Incorporating lots of speed into rattle traps (use single 5/0 xxstrong hook on front), minnow lures, and whiggleys can be deadly when surface lure get totally ignored. Trap is what to catch surubi catfish on if you spot them on the sand.
Also fast hopping/swimming a 4-5" 5/8-3/4 oz hair jig can be really deadly. There's a local version with an extended mono tail that a favorite with the guides. Again, needs a good hook. Upperman, lima bean head is best 'cause of how you can make it zig zag.
good luck!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Puck, your double-whammy team approach is what I like too. Usually a partner will throw a Rebel Jumpin Minnow or Spook near the flooded timber, and I'll throw a large bucktail jig that Larry referred to. I'll try the Badonk-a-Donk thing. I saw Bill Dance tearing up redfish on that a few years ago. I just bought some Lucky Craft Sammy's that have a nice action.

Larry, I bought some Rattle Traps for peacocks, but never used them. I never know when to use a large single vs. treble on peacocks, so how do you determine when they're advantageous? For GT, we had a pretty good hookup ratio using the large Owner SJ-41 and Jobos. I know some guys are using them on their Spooks for tigerfish.
Last edited by Dan Hanon on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:17 am

I usually stick with trebles, and use as few as possible! Never more than two trebles on any lures. Almost all lures need stronger hooks and split rings. I agree, singles are great for GT's.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions