steady days of cold and rain...

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

steady days of cold and rain...

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 pm

Instead of using this forum to complaining and playing the "blame game", im gonna use this forum its intended purpose...

During and on the tail end of steady days of cold fronts, is there a particular technique, strategy, or type of lure you use for big pike and smallmouth? The lake im going to be at is a typical northern minnesota lake.. lots of rocks, a mediumnsized rock reef that stretches out from 4' to 25', some weeds and reeds, and a few laydowns... I'm assuming that from these cold rainy days the water temps are going to be in the lower 60's or maybe even high 50's...
Like MOST others here, I always appreciate your insight and advice...
Gaebler20

Re: steady days of cold and rain...

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:05 am

Hi G
That's a good question. of course the weather you describe is our typical summer to fall transition that occurs in all northern latitudes. During this time the deck is getting shuffled, with one of the biggest factors being the difference between daytime and nighttime temps. These rainy periods have much less fluctuation, plus light levels are low. The fish you are looking for will be near the larger sized minnow aggregations. Look for them both with your eyeballs where it's shallow and clear enough, and with your electronics where it's not.
Large chubs, creek shiners etc. in the 4-6" range for big smallies, and up to 14"+ for large pike fished on the shelves, primary and secondary breaks will likely catch the most fish in most environments.
If they're on the laydowns or up on the shelf, they should be pretty cooperative with lures if you don't spook them or someone else has not spooked them earlier.

In terms of lures, the standard search tools apply based on depth and speed. All forms of jigging baits, cranks, suspending lures, spinner baits etc. As water cools below mid 50's scent becomes more important for both species.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 pm

Should i consider the same methods for big river muskies?? With the exception of bigger suckers??
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:33 am

pretty much, but maybe not exactly. Rivers differ greatly. It always depends on what kind of cover and depth is available and also clarity, temp and stage of water. I like them from about 10"-16", but have used much larger when I had no other bait and they get bit, just tougher to get a good hook up.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:39 am

Water level is pretty normal.. the lake and river i was talking about both have low clarity. The river is around 3 feet.. the channels cut out for big boats give off good current speed, so it isnt too hard to find slack water.. and i know the river is still pretty warm compared to lakes... being that the clarity is fairly low, should i still consider the same depths? Or do youbthink the muskies will holding higher in the slack water?
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 am

They might be in three feet or might be in twenty. In either case fish the seams of slack and current and also the tops and bottoms of washout holes even if there's current. also steep sand breaks and bars adjacent can be great.
best

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions