Reel Magic

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Reel Magic

Postby puckfisher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:34 am

Larry: I don't throw the big stuff much but have seen guys using "reel Magic" I believe it is called and spraying it directly on braided lines for casting efficiency. Does it work? Is there something better? Does it eventually gum things up? Does it leave junk in the water? What do you think?
puckfisher

Re: Reel Magic

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I am sure not Larry, and I will be interested to see his response, but I would like to comment on this one myself if you will allow.

I got a spray can about three years ago, and I still have most of it. Still, I have used it on several lines, and reels, and squeaky boat seats, and ....

OK, first to your question. I have sprayed it on mono, fluorocarbon, and on braided (super lines). I have found that on some mono and fluorocarbon it does seem to clean it a little and relax it a little so it cast better. But, on "big stuff"? Not really. It seems to reduce the memory a little and allow for light stuff to cast better on line this is marginally heavy. I see little advantage to using it on braided lines. It soaks into the braided line and it does perhaps add some lubrication to it, but again, I have seen on advantages to it.

Now, about leaving junk in the water, some, but not a lot. You get far more from spraying scents on your lures.

I did mention other things I have sprayed it on. It eliminates noise, for a while, on squeaky things. So, if you don't have your WD40 along, .......

OK, for the gist of the observation. To me, Reel Magic is a low scent WD40 type lubricant. Like WD40 will do, it dissolves build up on mono and fluorocarbon. Like WD40 will do it soaks a little into the surface of the lines to reduce memory for a few cast. But to me it is just a low scent lubricant.

I keep my can with me and I expect to use it up eventually, but I don't think I will buy another can.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:35 am

I've not used it and fail to see the need in any of the fishing that I do. I'm strictly a problem/solution sort of guy and I am unsure of the problem this product addresses.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 am

Larry: I hear you loud and clear on that. My inquiry was stimulated by bass fishermen on Amazon trip who swore by the stuff. According to a company blurb it extends the life of all fishing lines, softens them and allows for smoother casting. It is environmentally safe, odorless and guaranteed not to cause any buildup. Recommended for gear lubrication and works on all lines. Heck. I might try it on my toast! Dirty fly lines are problematic on Amazon tribs and I use "Glide" once a day. The gunk that comes off a line cast for one day down there is amazing. It is like night and day after cleaning. I perused customer online evals for Magic and never saw a bad one. Anyone else have any experience with it?
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions