musky question..

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

musky question..

Postby Gaebler20 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:56 am

Larry, on the river im fishing, there's a big flat that stretches about 3/4 mile long. There's no cover on it, but there are medium sized weed clumps all around it that are around 3-4 feet tall. The entire flat is around 7-11 feet deep. I know the muskies are on these clumps but what in your opinion is the best way to find these clumps and fish? Should i fan cast everywhere or would trolling the flat be better? The river is fairly stained and the current is moderately strong...
Gaebler20

Re: musky question..

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:12 am

Hey, since when did medium sized weed clumps not count as cover! Sounds like a good spot. Is it next to a channel or does the entire river get wider and turn into a flat?
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:26 pm

No. The flat is around 200 yards wide between the shoreline and the channel. The area im talking about is the harbor in my town. I know there are muskies there... I watched the guys catch the world record tiger there... however, i dont know where the weed clumps are.. and after the major flood last year, there's really no way to know what is on the river bottom now... im just wondering what the best way is to locate the weeds and hopefully the muskies are...
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:04 pm

Just break it into a grid and drive your boat with your depthfinder and gps on as if you are mowing your lawn. Mark weeds, logs or anything else of interst when you drive over em. Might as well drag a lure behind you while you're at it!
sometimes you've gotta scratch all the silver off the lottery card before you find the winning number! Even fishing semi blind it sounds like three or four passes 3/4 miles in length (depending on how far you cast) and you'd have it covered.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Mike - Alumilite » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:45 pm

I've personally used mapquest or google maps and zoom into the satellite image of many fishing spots to find particulars such as sand bars, patches of weeds, points, and other things that stick out. Depends when the photos were taken but you'd be surprised and what you can sometimes find. Especially in rivers as they are typically shallower and do not often have good topo maps available.

If they are just spotty patches, time on the water and good electronics as Larry suggested with the ability to gps mark on your electronics would come in really handy.

Mike
Mike - Alumilite

Return to Freshwater Questions