Fly Fishing Musky

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Fly Fishing Musky

Postby Flyguy14 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:16 pm

I have recently been exposed to fly fishing for musky. I have always been into fly fishing for trout & bass but having a hard time assuming the expense of the equipment for musky. Does anyone know of a low budget option for equipment? Most of my fishing is done on the Mississippi!
Flyguy14

Re: Fly Fishing Musky

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Any decent rod rated for 8 at the lightest, 10 at the heaviest will do. As far as a reel is concerned try and find an old Pflueger medalist. They retailed for around $20 brand new back in the seventies. You don't need a fancy saltwater reel for muskies.
A weight forward line is critical, but again, an "off" brand will do.
There is no need to spend big money. I've caught hundreds of muskies on flyrods. The first ones were caught on a rod I made from a Herters Kit that cost me less than $15! Times have changed, so I'm not suggesting you can get a package for pennies but you sure don't have to spend as much as you might think.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Flyguy14 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for the info. I ended up purchasing a TLR Salt rod from Cabela's and a Prestige reel. Not the most expensive equipment but better than cheep. About $300 when all was said and done. Went out last Sunday: caught 1, had another eat but missed. We saw 11 fish in about 7hrs of fishing a small stretch of the Mississippi, including a double follow. All in all a great day!
Flyguy14

Postby dahlberg » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:10 am

Way to go! Glad it worked out. The mississippi should be dynamite with the low clear water. I am sure the musky wasn't insulted that you weren't using a G Loomis!
Any size to the fish? Post a pic?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby muskynut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:19 pm

What stretch of the Mississippi are you fishing? I know the Mississippi is not particularly known for muskie except from ST.Cloud MN. northward.
muskynut

Return to Freshwater Questions