Glide Lures for Peacock Bass

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Glide Lures for Peacock Bass

Postby montywood » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:37 am

Larry, in preparation for a trip to the Amazon I ordered some of your glide lures. Is it recommended to tie this lure directly to braid without any leader. I have not used leaders in the past. Your comments, please. Thanks, Monty
montywood

Re: Glide Lures for Peacock Bass

Postby Dan Hanon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:27 pm

Obviously not Larry, but I have some experience with this lure.

On a prior post, Larry said he used 60lb to 130lb hard mono leader on all of his peacock lures depending on how heavy the cover was. He uses an open loop knot with the Wide Glide.

I connect my braid to mono leader with an Albright or double nail knot. A PT or FG knot is better, but more complicated. Don't use a swivel to connect the leader to the mainline because that will impede the lure's gliding action.
Dan Hanon

Postby montywood » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:06 am

Thank You very much. After I asked the question I read old post and found my answer there. I will try leader material this trip for the first time. Thanks again, Monty
montywood

Postby dahlberg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:02 pm

HI monty
Glad you wrote. Do not get surface version. it's not weighted properly for peacocks. It's in process of being changed.
the big subsurface one has been absolutely amazing once you figure out how to work it.
We've been using three or four foot leaders with pt knots to braid. leaders up to 100# for big fish in heavy wood.
Open loop is best, but by no means a must once you get the hang of making it zig zag and turn with powerful
sharp almost 180 degree corners.
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 pm

LARRY: tHANKS FOR CHIIMING IN ON THIS, I was the guy who had trouble getting this lure to work and took some grief for "Getting the wide glide to glide wide" a while back. I've seen you in the Amazon and on you tube working these things to perfection so what's up? I've tried metal leaders, direct ties,100# mono with a loop knot and still felt like a spazz trying to get it to work properly. I took a couple to Minnesota for musky and gave up on them. There are other wide gliding lures on the market(Hell hound or something ljke that) which work well but don't look fishy like your lures do. Hope this works out soon. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 am

The key is a really short bump when the lure is perpendicular and making sure you give it some slack afterward so it can glide.
Cast. let lure set for one second. Point tip at lure. now lower your tip to water level. Lift tip a couple of feet to create a little slack
and pull down with a sharp short pop, and quickly return it to the starting point. And wait for the lure to zip to one side.
In other words, the moment after you've given it a hard tap, immediately return your rod tip up to allow enough slack to let the lure glide. I like to vary the timing and glide length.
What is most different, and also what's most important, imo, about the large wideglide is the massive pressure wave you can create with it when it changes direction. I like to snap it hard enough so actually create a boil on the surface when it changes direction. I do that at the very beginning of each retrieve, at at least once in the middle. Also the bursts of speed and distance covered without the lure having to leave the neighborhood so to speak!
It's worth continuing to practice. Best to start out with no wind and clear water!
good luck, thanks for the post.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:50 am

Larry: Still a bit confused. You wrote to Monty recommending him not to purchase wide glide (surface version) because it wasn't weighted properly for peacocks. Can you please clarify?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:29 am

Hi P
Both the large size and small size wide glides come in two versions, sinking and floating. The sinking one works totally killer. The current floating one works great when it's weighted correctly, but there was some kind of mess up in the production line and, quite honestly although it catches fish, the current floating large sized one does not work the way I designed it to work. The problem has been identified and is in process of correction.
I am happy to say the small sized version works just fine in both floating and sinking models and is a "go to" lure for me when I'm after big smallmouth, shallow water reds, speckled trout, snook and tarpon of all sizes feeding on finger mullet.
sorry if I confused you.

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Puck, at the risk of admitting that I too had some early issues, I have a suggestion for you.

1) Sell all of your old ones to me..... :mrgreen: OK, just joking.

2) I did what I later saw Mike tell someone. In this case, get the smaller floating one and practice with it (larger one when it is fixed). It is easier to get to work and you can see the action. That way you get a feel for when to "bump" the line. Once you get the timing down, the sinking version is much easier.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby puckfisher » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:02 pm

AKA: Gladly sell my gliders to you. I don't think your solution of buying a smaller properly weighted glider will work for me. I feel it's not a technique problem but as Larry said a manufacturing issue that is being worked out. I have some huge gliding Hellhounds that work well but don't have the pizzazz and fishy look that Larry's do. I prefer the surface big lures (gliders,Pavon Props, Woodchoppers, etc.) for the Amazon Peacocks. One of the greatest thrills in fishing is seeing a 20 pound plus Peacock chase and explode on a monster surface lure. All these lures have their nuances and require practice and some tuning to work optimally but in this case I think the retooled gliders from Larry will be worth waiting for.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:44 am

Just for the record, when fishing for pcocks, I work the subsurface wide glide within a foot or less of the surface, and the strikes are quite visible. If you have the skill to operate it, it's a tool that would be foolish to leave at home if you are hoping to catch large pcocks!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Larry: Still think I'll wait this out. Headed to Amazon in November. Any news on reworked surface Gliders?
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Your head must be hard as a brick. Wait for Godot. Chances are he will never show. (It's an old book, likely would bore you)
The surface glider oughta be ready to go by november but the subsurface version will catch more fish and is a totally different tool than any other currently available. Just takes a little practice to get it right. Sort of like hitting a golf ball. Do it right it goes a mile, and maybe even a hole in one. Do it wrong and you lose your ball in the rough.
But, toss what you like. All I give is free advice. Take it for what it's worth.
But, in case you've not been watching over the years, I've caught two pcocks over thirty pounds....
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:19 pm

Geez, Larry, I'm sorry but you posted that the lures weren't properly weighted, not me. To use your analogy, if my golf clubs were improperly weighted , I'd probably hit it in the rough every time. Just wanted an answer to a problem that wasn't just troubling me. Thanks for your candor.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:53 am

Now I'm confused. Your hope was to catch a big peacock bass. One of the very best solutions I have found is to use a subsurface large wide glide.
I fail to understand how the weighting of the surface version has any bearing on the problem/solution.
What I'm hearing is:
"Like, ok, I got it, the subsurface wide glide which runs a few inches under the surface is super for peacock bass but the top water version is incorrectly weighted so I choose neither???"
I'm glad you appreciate my candor, and I appreciate yours as well!

best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am

Larry: I own two surface big gliders. I have had trouble getting them to glide properly. Others have posted similar concerns. You told Monty not to buy any large surface gliders because they weren't weighted properly. I am assuming that I have improperly weighted large surface gliders and that is why I am experiencing difficulty. Is that a possibility? I am not interested in subsurface gliders which you have stated work well. If Heddon puts out a subsurface magnum Spook, I'm not interested. The Brickhead
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:00 am

ah ha! now I get it.
Let me do a little messing with adhesive backed golf tape, different hook sizes etc, and see if I can at least get you a partial solution to correcting the issue. .
It really irks me that the factory messed up the original weighting on the large surface version. The problem is complicated by the fact that some people are catching fish on them anyway.
Also the fact that even though the other three versions; small sinking, small floating and large sinking work perfectly, the large floater tarnishes the rep of the ones that work great.
Have a great trip. I'll post results of correctional measures and send a note suggesting factory replace your floaters with subsurface versions if you wish for you trip. Let me know if that's what you want to do.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:29 am

Puckfisher:

Just get the large subsurface version, it works well, just need to practice in a local pond. Use an open loop terminal knot for maximum movement.

This lure is easily visible just under the water surface as you work it. Peacock explosions will be very visible-no worries there!
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:59 am

Dan: Think we finally got to the bottom of this. I prefer a surface lure for some fishing and I am sure that this lure will perform well once the kinks are worked out. It was just frustrating to suspect that there was an issue with the lure and be told by everyone it just takes practice, because it works for me. That's the value of this site and I appreciate the input, it makes for interesting "fishing" off the water.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:12 pm

A final note adding to the confusion: The big sub surface wide glide, if worked properly is simply amazing in how far it glides from side to side, and how fish that don't seem interested in anything will often come unglued over it...HOWEVER most people who are used to working traditional lures of this category have a hard time figuring out how to make it work so they think it doesn't work either!
I'm about to go out in my pond with the surface version, but have to locate my lead tape first amongst the ruins of my workshop..
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:40 pm

hey puck
I never did locate my lead tape but did some messing around to make the thing work how I'd want to fish it for pcocks.
The hooks and split rings it comes with weigh 8 grams. I removed the front hook and replaced it with one that weighs 5 grams.(gamakatsu 5/0 )
I could get it to zig zag, but on the turn (where I want the head to dip under and make sort of a bloop) and the tail to swish the water with a boil, the head would dip under a little too steeply and cause it to loose it's rhythm.
I then added 3 grams of lead wire to the rear hook and although the overall weight is nearly a half ounce heavier than my ideal version, the balance is good and it walks bloops swishes dives slightly and pops up going forward on occasion like it's supposed to.
Like the subsurface version you have to give it a short firm pop followed by slack. If it dives a little, just let it return to the surface and don't jerk until just as it's coming to a stop. I give it about one to two seconds between zigs.

L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Larry: Thanks for working overtime. I'll try to retrace your suggestions when I get a chance. Busy at work and steelhead season getting ready to pop in NW so my focus is there. Appreciate it. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:10 pm

glad to do it. only thing ready to pop in minnesota right now is the thermometer! pushing high 90's!
good time for muskies to bite zig zag gliders !
i'm jealous of the steelhead! catch a bunch.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:09 pm

Over the year, I purchased 4 small, subsurface Wideglides. Two worked great right out of the box, two just wobbled. After tuning (very slightly bending) the tie-on eyelet with pliers, I was able to make the wobbly ones glide just fine. My point is, if you're having trouble making the lure glide, it might not be your technique-a very slight tuning makes a big difference.
Dan Hanon

Postby puckfisher » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Dan : RE-read Larry's responses. It's not a tuning problem with the big surface wide-glide, it's a manufacturing problem that all the tuning in the world won't fix.
puckfisher

Next

Return to Freshwater Questions