Glide Lures for Peacock Bass

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Re: Glide Lures for Peacock Bass

Postby Dan Hanon » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:23 pm

Puck,

If you read my post, I was only referring to the subsurface versions!-I have no experience with the topwater ones. Like I said, sometimes you have to slightly bend the eyelet to make the lure glide, or glide equally in both directions. Yes, I understand there was a manufacturing issue with the surface lures, but Larry says the subsurface versions work as intended. You should try the 120 SS, its great. I caught two nice bass on it tonight! I think this lure can be killer on peacocks, which is what I primarily bought them for. Also, my friend is a south Florida tarpon guide, and he says the 120 SS works well during the mullet run.
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:49 am

Worth mentioning, on either of the small wide glides if you tie a closed, tight knot to the eye, the location of the knot will cause huge variation in the way the lure behaves. By all means use an open loop.
In regards to "tuning; tuning can involve anything from bending eyes or hook hangers to adding or subtracting weight. The info I provided in regards to the large size surface WideGlide will "tune" the lure", and make it function properly.
I have lots of lures that worked OK out the box, but after some tuning to my own "pitch pipe" so to speak, they work super duper OK, and become another "version" or slightly different tool.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:01 am

Willing to make necessary adjustments to wide glide to make it work properly. "Tuning" a lure to me should not involve changing out different weights of hooks and adding proper amount of wt. in correct position. This is major modification and best done in a tank with many lures to experiment with. If weight is only issue, perhaps drilling a hole in correct spot and filling with tungsten or lead and then painting over would fix the problem. I'd just screw that up and ruin a serviceable. lure.
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:32 am

Totally agree, no excuse for improper weighted on the large surface wideglide. Total factory screw up, and I readily admitted it did not work right.
However, despite the fact it was not weighted to spec, and thus didn't do what I wanted it to do, people still caught fish on it!
I agree, one should not have to mess with a lure out of the box to make it work as intended! I think I must've been totally on the scent of "how to tune and make it work", I just shared what I came up with and didn't apologize for the factory mess up!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Yes! The open loop knot is the best for sure. I've tried it both ways, and like you said, the knot changes positions. BUT, I caught two nice largemouths even when it wasn't gliding. I think this lure is good anyway you work it because of the random, non-mechanized action. I bought another small subsurface version today!

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Hanon

Previous

Return to Freshwater Questions