U.S Catfish

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

U.S Catfish

Postby dd12783 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 am

In your expierience what is the big catfish spot in the US?
dd12783

Postby Anders » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 am

i know your askin Larry but I figured I would put my two cents in. I live in Virginia and the James River is the up and coming future world record Blue catfish river in the US. For the past three years they have been catching numbers of cats in the 80 and 90 lb range. Its only a matter of time before they get the big one. There is the mississippi which has brought cats in commercial nets out at around 150 to 170 but no angler has ever got one over 124 i think. The James river is coming. The reason I have so much faith in it is because blue cats were not introduced until 30 years ago and over the past decade or so the record continues to get broken. Who knows where it will stop??
Anders

Postby dd12783 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 am

Our cats in connecticut dont get that big but we have like 4 to 5 different kinds here,good variety
dd12783

Postby madiaz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:35 pm

greetings,
I would be interested as well in what Larry might add.

I have been researching this topic because i am going to go on a catfish safari soon and besides the mighty mississippi i have narrowed down my choices. Even though the Santee Cooper lakes in the carolinas are world famous and there are big catfish in Texas reservoirs (Texoma) i am going on a River because River fishing is so much more fun.

I am trying to narrow it down to the Cumberland river in Tennessee, and The James River in Virginia. I was watching a show on Tv the other day and they were catching some good flatheads out of the James river. The guide said that besides the James they had 3 other top knotch river systems in Virginia.
regards, m.a.d.
madiaz

Postby dahlberg » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi guys,
No opinion on where super biggest might be, but I'd guess right in or off the edge of the wheel pit of some big power dam.
I agree about river fishing being more enjoyable.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions