high speed spinning reels..

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

high speed spinning reels..

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:53 pm

Larry. When using a high speed spinning reel for muskies, whats the biggest lure you would think to be able to use? As far as on easy on your finger and torque on the reel...???
Gaebler20

Re: high speed spinning reels..

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 31, 2013 5:36 am

That's a pretty broad question. As far as retrieving the lure, it depends on just how "high speed" the actual gearing in reel is, and how large the spool is.
In regards to your finger I think you will find almost all lures in the musky size just a little uncomfortable when compared to a conventional reel, but certainly doable. The 2,3, 4 ounce and up category can be very uncomfortable, especially if you're trying to toss them a mile, and I'd suggest some kind of finger protection for extended use.
If you select the right lures and choose a reel on the lower end of the speed spectrum I think a spinning rig will work just fine.
Be aware however that due to the physical design of a spinning reel and the torque created against various bearing surfaces when heavy pressure is applied to the crank, it's longevity when fishing lures that have a great deal of resistance will likely be less than that of a similar quality bait casting reel.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: high speed spinning reels..

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:06 am

Ok. I mainly wanna pull my waxwings, my whopper ploppers, and maybe a small bucktail like a #6 musky buck or a babygirl.. i have no doubt ill be ok with them...
Gaebler20

Return to Freshwater Questions