Any Muskies opening week up north?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Any Muskies opening week up north?

Postby mecoltin123 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Heading up to the Wisconsin / UP border for my spring trip. Just wondering is anyone fished for musky at all this past week now that the season is open. How were temps and water levels? Any info is appreciated. Thanks guys
mecoltin123

Re: Any Muskies opening week up north?

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:59 am

Fished last weekend. Water is still very cold. Even in the rivers water temps are in low to mid 50's. If youre able to, id say to push your trip back to the end of the month. Better to have the water at least in the 60's if not higher. In my opinion....
Gaebler20

Postby Naterov » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:58 pm

If you haven't left yet, here's my quick report from the opener. We were up by Boulder Junction throwing lures for musky all last week. Warmest water temps we found were of course in shallower bays. Surface temps at 56 F on the opener, at 62 F when we left a few days later. With colder weather again this week, I'd look for warmup to slow down. According to local musky fishermen, the musky were still spawning and/or just finishing so were not overly active. Lots of walleye fishermen, but only a couple of other boats looking for musky. We caught 2 smaller fish around 30", and had one really nice one follow in a bait, but that was it for muskies. Largemouths are starting to bed up, and made for a little action, although not very sporting on a musky rod. If you put a bait on top of them, regardless of how big it is, they'll hit it. Great amusement! We had the best luck on 206 Crane baits. If you're planning on heading up in the next couple of weeks, you might hit it just right and have some good action. Good luck!!
Naterov

Postby puckfisher » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

Just returned from Lake Vermilion on 6/15. Got 47 incher on #5 Mepps 1st day and handed rod off to nephew who hasn't fished much. Did everything wrong and still got it to the net. Fat, healthy fish. Did not see another musky all week. Heavy boat traffic. Beautiful lake, just too busy for me. Interesting situation, about the northern pike. Saw several laying in weeds when I was panfishing in shallow weeds. They are usually pests and cutting off lines frequently when bass and walleye fishing. The fish I saw were very lethargic and the northern bite was non-existent. Any thoughts? I'm thinking post-spawn blues. Would not return to this fishery.
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions