hooking shiners for pike

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

hooking shiners for pike

Postby steelneal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:28 pm

Dear Larry The King,
Me and my son caught a few pike on shiners this weekend and i was wondering what you think is the best way to hook the shiner? I go thru the meat on one side near the dorsal (shiner fished under a float). Seems to me the bait turns and flashes more this way as opposed to in the lips, mouth etc....also seems like the hook is less likely to turn back into the bait
Do you have any suggestions on this?
Thanks,
Steel Neal

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
biggest was 41 inches , 18 1/2 lbs
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
Last edited by steelneal on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steelneal

Re: hooking shiners for pike

Postby The Chosen One » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Have you tried freelining shiners (or suckers )?

I regularly use this presentation when baiting Florida bass with golden shiners. It works quite well for chain pickerel too.. Many locals consider picekerl a pest but I enjoy catching them

At any rate, I usually use a kahle hook impaled behind the dorsal or anal fin; no float; and minimal or no weight.
I know you have to rig with wire and maybe another hook type and location might be more suitable for pike, but I imagine the technique would work quite well.
The Chosen One

Postby dahlberg » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:20 am

If you are sitting still hooking in the back, tail, or places other than the head is fine. If you are moving they will die.
So, when moving, which I do most of the time, I snoot hook them with a floss loop.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:24 am

Dear Larry The King,
We are fishing from shore. I just bought a 275 gallon poly tank and i am stocking it up with wild shiners and hope to get like a gazillion suckers as well,so that floss rig will come into play soon.

Chosen One,
i haven't freelined at this particular spot as it is sometimes very crowded..especially when the crappie move in but i will give it a try next time wade or boat while piking it! Sounds pretty cool.
All Hail The King!
Steel Neal
Last edited by steelneal on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:32 am

I like your tank concept, but be careful not to crowd them. Another consideration is to use aquarium chemicals like aqua nova, amquell, etc when you carry them to the lake. Acclimating your bait to the water it's about to be introduced to is another big deal.
If you have am off shore breeze a kite or over inflated balloon can be useful. The brits use "drift rigs", like little sailboats to carry out their line.
Have fun, keep trying different things and let us know how they're working, or not..
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:25 am

Larry The King,
i've had about 3000 emerald shiners in my tank (minus the ones i use) since February that i got from Lake Erie and about 150 golden shiners from 4-10 inches. I have a pump that aerates and filters the water..(homemade) as that many fish need a lot of cleaning up after, and i feed them goldfish flakes (A Lot of flakes!) to keep them lively. Also i drain and add about 15-25 gallons of fresh water every day and that has been working pretty well.. lose about 5 minnows a week.
Here in Ohio we can use legally caught gamefish for bait. Do you think perch or bluegills would be better pike bait than golden shiners? i have shiners to 10 inches?
Thanks again,
Steel
ps. i have used the balloons before in the manner you describe but not the last few outings....the pike have been close to shore along the edge of the rip rap in say 4 foot of water... literally 15 -20 foot from shore... just toss them out
Last edited by steelneal on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
steelneal

Postby Watchhiller » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:28 am

Last edited by Watchhiller on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchhiller

Postby dahlberg » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:33 am

You've certainly got the minnows in a happy place. I'm sure you've found it well worth the effort. IMO, it is unlikely the shiners will be out performed by either perch or sunfish unless said shiners are in very poor condition.
Although, it's always best to let the fish decide.
Thanks for the post.
Did I forget to mention helium balloons? Two or three guys with rods attached to balloon either in the water or air, plus release clip can sometimes take a shiner for a mighty long walk.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am

Dear Larry,
I like that helium balloon idea...i'll keep it in mind for that hard to reach lunker hole!
When i feed my shiners it sounds like a big bowl of Rice Krispies! And i think they got a good home, until i use them for bait that is...but once they get wore out swimming under my Snoopy bobber i switch them out with fresh ones and take them back home. Most of them usually make it and i have been able to use them a few times (after a proper recovery period)...not so much with the Emerald shiners...i feed them to my pet fish and Leonard my snapping turtle...i had a 38" pike in my tank for a few days so my son could show his friends,,,, didn't want to keep him much longer though, figured he'd get comfortable and start chomping my bait.
Going out this weekend again,
Thanksfor the tips!
Steel
steelneal

Postby lucky stick » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 am

I'm hoping someone can go into more detail about the Floss Loop rigging method?
lucky stick

Postby steelneal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:56 pm

Dear Larry The King,
your duck decoy whopper plopper musky episode reminded me....i mounted a duck decoy on a remote controlled boat that i used occasionally for more duck appeal hunting a few years back...i might retro fit it with a release clip to have more control of where my bait goes....would a downrigger clip work or would you suggest something else?
Thanks again!
All Hail The King!
Steel Neal
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:53 am

My favorite clip is the Aftco roller troller. Check it out and you will see why.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 am

Larry The King,
i scoped that clip...looks perfect..might wait to see if i can get a few on sale! Costs more than my remote control boat!
I am off to try to catch more shiners...Talk at you later!
Thanks,
Steel Neal
steelneal

Return to Freshwater Questions