color choice..

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

color choice..

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Larry, with the walleye numbers at an all time low on mille lacs, in your opinion would this change your way of thinking towards lure color? Would you want to use more walleye colors, thinking they may key in on them a little harder, or would you tend to use more perch and tulibee colors? From ive heard, the perch and tulibee numbers havent really changed...
Thanks
Gaebler20

Re: color choice..

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:47 pm

those are good questions. There is usually no way to know for absolutely sure due a lack of "control" subjects.
I've found noisy rattle type stuff is best in dirty water and or for really hungry or unpressured fish.
Check out the stuff my old friend doug hannon wrote regarding attracting and triggering qualities in lures. Buck Perry also has some good thoughts on the subject.
Personally, a lure's movement, speed, size and running depth is more important than color or any other aspects of appearance.
However, it's always the fish that must make the final decision!
Often it comes down to deciding if you are trying to find them, or are you on them and trying to fool them?
The right lure in the wrong place never gets bit.
My go to over the years are lures they have never seen before that have controllable random non-mechanical action and that can be worked at the widest range of speeds.
I also like to throw things they've never seen before.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions