Musky and Peacock techniques

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Musky and Peacock techniques

Postby puckfisher » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Larry: Moved west 30 years ago and haven't fished for muskies for that long. I have fished for peacocks many times and prefer top water action with pavon props and rip rollers over woodchoppers. I find my best lures are ones that have been tuned properly( almost sound like a zipper thru the water and come dead straight in). I used to throw a big yellow "Globe" lure with spots on it but worked it much slower and with a steady retrieve. Have you experimented with musky lures for peacocks and visa versa? I tried a Buchertail? without success several times. The big gliders look promising, too. I'll be in your state this June with my nephews, just don't know where yet. Thanks, Puckfisher
puckfisher

Re: Musky and Peacock techniques

Postby dahlberg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:03 pm

I had poor results with most musky lures other than zig zag type stuff. we absolutely crushed really big ones on the large size wideglide last fall in brazil.
the ripper stop and go retrieve has never been effective for me in regards to muskies and pike. a steady retrieve and varying your retrieves over really key areas at speeds from super slow all the way in to fast all the way and combinations of the two is always a good tactic.
I find unbalanced props catch more muskies than balanced when it comes to surface lures. The hollow plopping almost popping sound seems to be their favorite. Just like pcocks like that zipper sound.
interesting post. thanks!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby puckfisher » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:45 am

Larry: Forgot to ask about live bait presentations. can I rig a live perch and swim it out the back under a float just for kicks? My Amazon trick is to rubber band an empty water bottle on a line with a live piranha hooked just behind the head and let it drift about 40 yds behind boat while flyfishing for peacocks. Piranhas(just a bluegill with teeth) work better than dogfish or small wolfish looking devils because they stay alive forever and the giant peacocks might turn down a fly but they take a piranha without hesitation. The guides go crazy on the hookups and it's always a big fish. Landing them is another problem. what do you think? Puckfisher
puckfisher

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:23 pm

I showed the live bait/ balloon/ water bottle to the amazonians many, many years ago. Of course it is lethal. However, the bait you used is far down on the totem pole as far as what produces best.

Just be sure that the state in which you are fishing allows the bait you are fishing with! Kites are also really great for presenting livies to muskies.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions