spinning gear for musky

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

spinning gear for musky

Postby JBECK » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm looking for a musky spinning rod preferably 8'6" or 9'. Maybe there's a saltwater rod out there that would do the trick? I would like to change it up a bit just for fun. Thanks for any input.
JBECK

Re: spinning gear for musky

Postby The Chosen One » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:32 am

If you can beat tarpon with a Teramar spinner, you can certainly whip muskie with it.

However, the real issue is the suitability of spinning gear for fishing muskie lures.

It may work for some applications, but it probably wouldn't be practical for those chicken sized double bladed bucktails.
The Chosen One

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 am

The comfort level depends on what you decide to toss. We fish giant poppers that weigh six ounce with large saltwater gear all the time.
With the right reel and a nine foot surf type stick is killer for smoking mid sized blades, or grinding cranks with long casts to bump bottom at the base of deep weed lines.
I've got a 9 foot XH Teramar surf rod that I like better than most "musky" rods I've used for muskies.
Fishing Reapers is great with spinning gear. Doesn't even need to be very stout.
SAme goes with mid-sized swimbaits or smaller topwater lures like the whopper plopper 130.
Max size 18000
Min 6000

good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby TJones » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:33 am

I fish spinning gear here in PA rivers for muskies a good bit... Prefer a 7'6 to 8' H saltwater inshore type rod and a stradic fj5000 as reel. Great way to keep your hands warm in cold weather! And will fish most musky baits.

BTW, Larry have you tried the new stella SW yet...? Haven't seen in person, but pics and video on the net looks awesome!
TJones

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:13 am

Yes, I've fished the new Stella reels, including the brand new big girl, the 30000. All I can say is wow.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions