Muskie Trip Ideas

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskie Trip Ideas

Postby Matt G » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:21 am

I have the third week in August open and would like to spend it hunting for a big muskie in my 16.5' Lund. Any general areas or specific lakes you would suggest for that time of year and my smaller boat? Thanks!
Matt G

Re: Muskie Trip Ideas

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:40 am

That depends.. where do you live and how far are you willing to travel?
Gaebler20

Postby Matt G » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:17 am

Chicago area. Probably 14 hours max.
Matt G

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 pm

In that case, you have a lot of options.. Mille lacs in Minnesota(hour above Minneapolis), Cass lake, vermilion lake, st. Clair above Detroit, lake of the woods(Canada side), leech lake(more trophies caught here every year than any other lake in MN), which is maybe your best bet..
Gaebler20

Postby Matt G » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:41 am

If I throw out the idea of bringing my boat, any other good ideas? What about Rowan, Eagle, Lac Seul, Cedar, Moon river, 1000 islands, or kawartha? At the end of the day is the Detroit lakes area my best bet at catching a 50"+ fish? Maybe I should just stop chasing the big muskie and go for bull reds in venice that time of year! Larry, where would you musky fish the third week in August if family obligations didn't exist?
Matt G

Postby dahlberg » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 am

Hi matt
Such a difficult question! There are many great places. I would not suggest any of the large bodies of water like leech or mille lac with a 16 1/2 foot lund.
The prairie lakes in western MN are less crowded and have lots of fish. Any of the lakes you mentioned in Ontario are also great choices.
There are several smaller lakes in the Bemidji area that would be well suited to your gear, plus have lots of big muskies.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Matt G » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks Larry!
Matt G

Postby detroitmuskie » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:52 pm

I'm a St. Clair/Detroit River Muskie Angler and addict. If you want great numbers and size fish then you might want to consider LSC. Yes, it's massive and can get nasty in a heartbeat but if you plan carefully and launch close to areas that hold fish in August then you'll be fine. I know lots of guys that fish in 16-18' boats and do fine. You can fish the channels and be within 1/4 mike from launch. Other good areas as well that are close to ramp. The sheer numbers of fish and now size (thicker) wilk rival any Muskie water anywhere!! It's a fun lake to cast and 3 days will give you a great shot at several 50" opportunities if weather is stable. Any more help let me know....
detroitmuskie

Return to Freshwater Questions