Rising Water

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Rising Water

Postby Rowboat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am

Dear Larry,

The river that I fish in Virginia has gone from 1500 cubic feet per second to 90,0000 cubic feet per second in a short period of time. I had been fishing a 100 yard strech for muskies and getting bites regularly before the water rose. What will this rising water do to the fish in my area? Are they able to hide somewhere and return to the same area when the water comes back to a normal level or do they get swetp downstream. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your answer,

Mike

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03171000
Rowboat

Re: Rising Water

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:01 pm

wow. that's a bunch of new water! Must be a 500 year event. It's hard to say with that kind of flush going on.
LOVE fishing high water jumps. You might have to run fifty miles to fish two or three spots but if you get it right it can be insane! (all species)
They will likely be in the nearest slack water adjacent to current nearest (might be a half mile or more) where they were before.
If the water is super discolored, find the cleanest water with above characteristics. Might be in flooded wood, brush or grass, a parking lot, or a backyard badmitten court!
With levels like you say, I would look for tributaries that have been backed up by the current dam created flood in the main stem. Run up the tribs and look for clean water. Might be tribs of tribs.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Rising Water

Postby Rowboat » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks for the quick response! Hopefully I can find a spot to launch the boat in the near future!
Rowboat

Return to Freshwater Questions