Cass Lake...

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Cass Lake...

Postby Gaebler20 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Larry, do you have any experience on Cass Lake? If so, or on a similar lake, when musky fishing do your tactics change or differ due to the water being so clear? I know natural colors come into play, but my question is are there any tweaks or tricks that can help make a difference?
Gaebler20

Re: Cass Lake...

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:40 am

IMO cass is one of the coolest lakes in Minnesota. In the words of my friend Shawn Kellet, Cass is perhaps the only lake left in the state where you have a legit shot at a "natural",unstocked, 40# musky, 30# pike, or 12# walleye.
Personally, I love the clear water.
Make long casts, and if nothing is up and going on the shelf, pay close attention to identify where the base of the deepest weedlines are congruent with the lip of the primary break. Especially on points or inside corners.
Also, bomber casts with topwater is a good call in any clear water situation.
sometimes natural colors are the ticket, but you never want to rule out fluorescent greens, orange etc. no matter what the water color. Appealing to the instincts that relate to Natural Selection as opposed to imitating a common forage is often more productive when chasing top end predators.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions