Best Retrieve for Mr. Wiggley on Peacocks

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Best Retrieve for Mr. Wiggley on Peacocks

Postby SMBass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 pm

:?: Hi Larry,
I'm going back top Brazil in February and want to try my new Mr. Wigglelys. In the past, I've had some limited success with the Banjo minnow using a dying bait retrieve. What's the best way to work your the soft plastic bait for peacocks? Also, I had some recent success with largemouths in Mexico on scrounger jig heads with magnum flukes. How about a rapid straight retrieve with this lure for peacocks?
Thanks,
SMBass
SMBass

Re: Best Retrieve for Mr. Wiggley on Peacocks

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:54 am

Hi SMB
Like all fish, pcocks vary from negative, neutral and positive in terms of their feeding attitude. And, like all fish their attitude is greatly affected by where they are in the spawning cycle. Don't have time to go into details on that.

A somewhat unique characteristic of pcocks is their propensity to violently protect their young, will cause them to react, but in a non-feeding mode.

That being said, I have had situations where a steady super fast burn all the way was the ticket, others where a twitch twitch, burn, stop, twitch, burn works best.
Generally in open water long casts and burning with a pause or two is best. Around heavy cover sharp twitches to get the bait to dance back and forth and in and out of the cover usually works best.

The majority of the lures I make for myself are designed to operate at the widest possible range of speeds. I usually offer the fish the entire range of speeds and cadences and let them tell me.

As far as color, I suggest pearl with a red tail or yellow the three or four black bars with a black tail.
I'd also suggest you try a large subsurface wide glide. Once you figure out how to work it, it is lethal on big peacocks.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Best Retrieve for Mr. Wiggley on Peacocks

Postby puckfisher » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:09 am

Dear smb: Larry's reply regarding peacocks protecting their young is dead on. You will see this only in lagoons and if your guide is good he will point out the "bubbles" and get all excited. It isn't bubbles but a patch of "nervous " water. It is fun trying to to see these and with practice you can. Approach within casting range very quietly and try to see which direction they are moving. You'll usually get only one shot so make it good. I try to land outside the school of baby peacocks and bring my fly through them. Anything will work but if you screw up you'll put them down. Usually there are two adults and if your partner is smart you can hook the pair. You risk losing the largest peacocks of the trip by trying to double up but it is insane.Give it a try, just keep your eyes open to the center of large quiet lagoons,you might spot a pirarucu also. Have fun and try different techniques. Puckfisher
puckfisher

Return to Freshwater Questions