Creek Muskies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Creek Muskies

Postby Whitem09 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:17 pm

Larry,
I am a 20 year old Muskie angler from Southern Ohio. There are Lakes in Ohio but I dont get into much of the lake fishing in my home town i have 2 small creeks that have native stream muskie that are not stocked by the ODNR. I catch them all year round except winter here the water usually does not freeze over. I know a couple of old timers who catch monsters in the winter out of the creek i fish but dont tell there secrets! (which i dont blame them) i try to give little information to people to because it keeps the fishing good. And keeps less ethical anglers from going out and trying everyone wants to say theyve caught on an a muskie is a very sensitive fish and they can cause harm by not meaning to or if they catch there first muskie even if its a 30" they ll mount it. but the good thing about creek fishing is people dont tend to be patient and they give up... which keeps the fishing good for people like us who are patient it is rewarding!! :)

Any tips on pulling muskie out of small streams in the winter?

Thanks a lot!
Whitem09

Re: Creek Muskies

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 am

I'd say, focus on the deepest holes and fish with slower retrieves and neutrally buoyant lures in a down stream direction.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions