Sturgeon in VA

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Sturgeon in VA

Postby Anders » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi Larry,
I'm trying to target some sturgeon this summer in the local rivers around eastern VA. During the late summer months these things will air out the water sometime at 10 feet. My buddy lost one while cat fishing and it was about six foot long. The local guides on the James talk about loosing rods right out of there holders. I watched your episode on the sturgeon in Russia but this is not the same. The rivers aren't deep like out in the western US so you cant really fish any holes. I was wondering if the was a way to target them with out mimicking cat fishing techniques.

Thanks,

Anders
Anders

Postby dahlberg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:54 am

Hi A,
You bet you can catch them. First, I can almost assure you that all rivers have differences in depth. In order to constitute a "hole" the difference might only be a few feet.
The best times for sturgeons anywhere is when they concentrate prior to, during and just after the spawn. Usually this takes place below some kind of barrier, either natural or unnatural.
In the latitudes where I'm familiar with them, they also make a major movement in the fall, usually mid sept on.
You can fish them either in the gut of the holes or in the tailouts.
Depending on how big the fish are, you can use a 2/0 hook with a couple of nightcrawlers on it. If some other forage is super abundant you may want to use it. Set your sinker no more than 6 inches or so from the hook. About the only thing you can do wrong is be downstream from them, so always start at the top of a hole and work your way down.
good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Anders » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Larry, I'll let you know how I do come this late-August and September.
Anders

Postby dahlberg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:35 am

hi anders,
if it's legal in spring to fish them, try below dams or barrier rapid when the water temps reach 48 degrees.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions