pre-turnover muskies

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

pre-turnover muskies

Postby Gaebler20 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 am

Larry, in bodies of water that have a pre-turnover, is there a particular size and/or type of lure you use? And would water current affect this situation?
Gaebler20

Re: pre-turnover muskies

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:52 am

Pre turnover is a new word in my fishing vernacular. To me it could mean anytime from freeze up until actual "turn over".What on earth do you mean?
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:02 am

I mean the very beginning of the fall transition. Just before they start staging in deeper water and start to put on the fall fat belly.. I've had success downsizing, but would you think that is the best thing to do or just got lucky with those fish?
Gaebler20

Postby GMan » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Why would you downsize at this time? Just based on good expereiences, or is there more to it? I tend to upsize going into and during the fall. Maybe they are a little tough during the turnover itself, and that might favor smaller baits then, but both before and after I figure they are putting on the feed bag, so shy not eat a steak instead of several Sliders! JMHO
GMan

Postby Gaebler20 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 pm

Because I know at this time, at least where I fish, they start keying in on 3-4 inch perch and bluegill.. I just wonder if there is a particular bait that'll work better than others...
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:19 am

Assuming the fish have not changed locations and assuming you are fishing where they actually are and they won't bite more standard stuff I would go to gliders, stuff that has a very wide and erratic movement and variety of speeds.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions