Trolling weedy lakes?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Trolling weedy lakes?

Postby Questor » Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:18 am

Larry:

I have always avoided trolling except as a technique of last resort, but plan to do more of it to find out if there are any benefits.

I've tried trolling the weedlines and I get frustrated because I'm always snagging up in the weeds.

Can you suggest any approaches to trolling weedy relatively structureless lakes that make sense and are likely to be productive for largemouth bass, northerns, and carp?

Thanks.
Questor

Postby dahlberg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:15 am

Hi Q,
Under many circumstances, trolling will get you on fish quicker than any other method. This is especially true of bass and pike. Cant' suggest it for carping.
Best way I've ever found is to deviate as little as possible from the classic methods first described by Buck Perry, in his book, Spoonplugging. Be sure to use plenty of markers, and you don't need spoonplugs specifically, but you do need to go to the effort of determining how deep your lures are running, and how to get them to depth with the least amount of line out. I could go into pages of detail, but suggest you pick up Buck's book.
Our new low stretch lines will allow lures to dive deeper on a troll than Buck's primitive No Bo line so ignore that part.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Questor » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:56 am

Thank you for the advice on trolling and boat control. I'll get a copy of Perry's book if I can find one.
Questor

Return to Freshwater Questions