Greensticking

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Greensticking

Postby steelneal » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:45 am

Dear Larry The King,
Finally got my greensticking rig(homemade of course) assembled and am ready to try it out on my local water- it works pretty darn good without lures. My question is due to the surging action and the tension on the clips, using downrigger clips dropped from the bird line, what type of lures would you suggest i drag for musky? I actually got a few squid, but was leaning toward some type of swim bait but i would love to drag a pull bait or a shallow crank. I dont know if my clips will handle much of a lipped bait due to the drag-normal clips, not the superline ones.
Long Live The King,
Thanks for any input,
Steel Neal The Fish Whisperer
steelneal

Re: Greensticking

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:32 am

Hmm. Greenstick huh? Careful not to roll your boat over! Greensticking is mostly done for tuna and the keys to it as far as I can see are both the surging movement, commotion etc. but also the fact there is no terminal gear in the water. It seems to me for muskies you might be best using the greenstick setup purely as an attractor with no hooks and run your lures just under the surface a few feet under and behind your rig.
for clips that will hold you might check out the "roller trollers" made by aftco.
How long is your main mast and what are you using for a bird?
good luck, let me know how it works out!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Greensticking

Postby steelneal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:01 pm

i got a big ole offshore radio antennae, fiberglass. haven't been out since i posted. i really want to get that surging action on the baits like that Downjigger from a few years back? the plastic fish looking device with a propeller on the front and a mini drag chute on the back? My bird is home made and i have yet to get a decent design Trying for a slower action...tricky
Thanks Larry
steelneal

Return to Freshwater Questions