Knot / leader question

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Knot / leader question

Postby box » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Larry-
I know the Hollow Ace connection is ideal for some applications but its a bit cost prohibitive for me. I tried an alternative setup and it held a up to a 46 inch ski last night but I'd like your thoughts. My specific application is big blades after dark. I'm running 80 LB Power Pro on a 400TE.
I tied a Bimini Twist that you showed me at Josh's expo last year, I then used a Uni/Uni knot to link the doubled up Power Pro to 80 LB flouro (about 10-12 inches) - I then did another Uni/Uni from e 80 flouro to 130 LB flouro (about 10-12 inches) which has a loop crimped and tied for either a split ring or snap. My intent is tat I can feel the Bimini go through he tip and begin an L or oval or 8 in the dark. My thought is that I can now fish in the dark without keeping a headlamp on the whole time and also not crank hardwared not the tip band break the guide. I know that this setup presents 4 potential failure points but I also take my time an tie them right. At some point I'll go Hollow
, just not yet.

Your thoughts?

Thanks - erik
box

Re: Knot / leader question

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:23 am

If all your knots are good, your set up should be ok, but it's over complicated. There's a knot called a pt knot that allows braid to be tied over mono or flouro and can be cranked up into the guides. I can't explain how to tie it but I'll show tomorrow and maybe he can show you at his store.
You can do the splice without all the expensive tools. Just need an inexpensive latch needle or bent over piece of wire! Waxed dental floss works great for finishing it.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby whiteymalone » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 am

I can't find info anywhere about the PT knot. Does anyone know of a link for instructions? Thanks
whiteymalone

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:12 am

it's also sometimes called a sebile knot.
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:10 pm

YouTube had several knots on it, and the PT and sebile knots are shown.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions