2/1 show: New Guinea

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

2/1 show: New Guinea

Postby whaler » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:52 pm

Man, what fish! And a great show, too.
What kind of casting rod was that you were using to cast the "sexiest plug you had, in the best spot there was" when you first got to the river?
I have a hard time finding rods with that kind of power that still have enough flex in the tip section.
Thanks,
Tony
Michigan
"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
whaler

Postby dahlberg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:54 am

HI W,
I usually use either something from 7'-7'6" in H or MH from the Shimano Terrimar series or one of thier musky rods.
In the show I borrowed a 6 foot triggerless ugly stick and I can honestly say it was one of the lousiest rods I've ever had in my hands!
thanks for the post,
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby whaler » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:30 pm

I see. I never liked Uglies either, too spongy.
Thanks for the answer. Always look forward to the show.
"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
whaler

Response Tony from Michigan

Postby DocfromAtlanta » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:27 pm

Hey Tony,

You sound like a traveling angler. If so, perhaps you might consider going to three piece travel rods as I have for the past 10 years. I am getting mine custom made by a great rob builder in Florida. I can get four or five rods in a small carry on tube and take them on the plane with me. By doing so, I don't have to worry that my previously long and bulky rod tube will not make it to the destination, be broken or get a frazzled look by charter plane pilots that have to find room on the small airplanes for this type of gear.

I would rather not take the liberty of posting this person's contact information, as it is Larry's site and he has sponsors, etc. and feel it would not be appropriate. However, if you send me a private message, I will give you the information. The rods I am using will handle the toughest peacock bass, tigerfish, golden dorado or giant pike.

Doc
DocfromAtlanta

Return to Freshwater Questions