H4BF muskies in Minn, 5/31/12-What bait? big orange fish

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

H4BF muskies in Minn, 5/31/12-What bait? big orange fish

Postby Railrider19920 » Thu May 31, 2012 3:57 pm

Hi,
I happened to catch your show today on NBC sports. There were two guys fishing for muskies in Minn. A few were caught on a big spinner bait of some kind. One of them was caught on a big orange lure. It looked like a huge orange gold fish or small koi. The bait was maybe 4 to 6 or so inches. I'm guessing that it is a soft plastic bait and not the real thing. I never heard any info mentioned on this orange bait and only saw it twice for just a few seconds.

Can anyone tell me what it might have been? Is it available for sale somewhere? Or was it a hand cast?

Thanks for any help offered,
Rob
Railrider19920

Re: H4BF muskies in Minn, 5/31/12-What bait? big orange fish

Postby aka anglinarcher » Thu May 31, 2012 5:06 pm

The spinner is called a Cow Girl. There are several other people that make them, they are just double spinners. The blades are usually a size 10, thus the reason that they are often called couble 10's.

The orange plastic lure is Larry's lure called a "Mr. Wiggley". It is not made commercially, but you can find instructions for making it on www.makelure.com. I believe Larry is working with River2Sea to make a commercial version of it, but to this date is not available.

http://www.makelure.com/howtos.cfm

The above link provides you with several instructions that will get you there. The lure is easy to make with the Alumilite soft lure kit.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Re: H4BF muskies in Minn, 5/31/12-What bait? big orange fish

Postby Railrider19920 » Thu May 31, 2012 6:40 pm

Thank you for the reply Mr Archer. I'll check out the mr whiggley tutorial.

Rob Archer (yeah, really lol)
Railrider19920

Return to Freshwater Questions