Big or small...

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Big or small...

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 am

Larry,
What's your preference and experience with big lures or smaller lures for early season muskies???
Gaebler20

Re: Big or small...

Postby dahlberg » Thu May 17, 2012 5:05 am

I've had success on both small and large lures in early season. It seems to me that when the fish are very shallow and there isn't much cover they appear to spook from over sized lures. In deeper water that's less likely to be the case.
When in sight fishing situations I've found smaller lures to be effective much more often than larger ones. When not sight fishing I start out with lures in the 5-8" range.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Would you use that same idea in shallow river situations with low to moderate current speeds and moderate clarity...??
Such as the St. Louis River in Duluth...?
Gaebler20

Postby dahlberg » Fri May 18, 2012 6:40 am

In river situations with even moderate flowing current I've had little to no success sight fishing. I'd defer to the standard musky offerings, especially topwater ploppers, but would have someone tossing twitch baits, gliders, bucktails etc. I think picking the right areas for the time of year, i.e.,location, is a bigger factor than which lure you choose.
With the very cold water of lake superior meeting the very warm water of the st louis river, combined with the rather unique physical make up of the bay, the area you refer to has lots of options!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Gaebler20 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:53 am

Great... Thanks a bunch.. Always been a big fan.!!
Gaebler20

Return to Freshwater Questions