Adventure ideas?

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Adventure ideas?

Postby younggun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi Larry,

I have watched your show for awhile and really enjoy watching all the trips you go on across the world. I am 15, going to turn 16 soon, and have caught soem nice fish already thanks to my dad. Dozen bass over 8 pounds, catfish over 40, and bluegill over 1.5 :) . Nothing really spectacular when it comes to species because that is what I am surrounded by.

My dad is going to turn 60 in a couple of years and I want to take him on an expedition that he will remember. He is getting worn down with age, but he is still in good shape due to his very active lifestyle in his youth. He grew up on a farm and has never gone anywhere unique except for during his time in the army. I am going to get a job just so I can afford fishing often and for college as well. My dad will pay for some of the fares as well. I have seen your show where you went to Canada (not very sure where exactly, but it was recently shown on OLN), and catching the northerns and grayling looked awesome. Do you have a few locations (North America only) that you would recommend and had a blast with? Money is a concern, we are not poor but do not want to shell out more than 5 grand. Thank you for your time.
younggun

Postby fishingman64 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:28 pm

Hey,
One place that I haven't personally been to but have heard stories from my grandpa is a place called North of Sixty. He told me he has caught a couple 50 in pike from that lake. There are a ton of trophy pike and lake trout in there. There is also arctic grayling. Go to www.northofsixty.com and check it out. I'm probably gonna go there within the next few years.

Tyler Saile
fishingman64

Postby younggun » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 pm

That place sounds very nice! Thanks for the advice.
younggun

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:24 am

Younggun: I would recommend you go to www.spectacularnwt.com From this site, you can get a free Northwest Territories Fishing Guide and Explorer's Guide. See if you like any of the fishing lodges and if you narrow it down to a few, come back to Larry's site and ask for recommendations on the lodges you like.

I was fortunate to take my dad along to places like Alaska, Victoria Island, and Great Bear Lake. Would have liked to have taken him to Brazil, peacock bass fishing, or to La Zona for dorados. 8)

Best of luck. If you have any questions, feel free to e-mail me.

Good fishing, Bob Daly
Bob Daly

Postby dahlberg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:38 am

hi yg,
Some people may disagree, but for the money and the experience my favorite trip in North America is on the snake river below hells canyon dam for giant sturgeon! You also catch rainbow trout and smallmouth.
I'm only a couple of years younger than your dad and can certainly relate to the "beat up" part after traveling hundreds of thousands of air miles every year for the past several decades.
I think he's lucky to have such a great son!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Adventure Trip

Postby pikeguy » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:22 pm

Youggun,
I applaud what you want to do. My father and I go to canada every year and the best place we have been to is the Missinaibi Outfitters
http://www.duenorth.net/missinaibi/main.html

It isn't your typical fishing trip where you just hop in the boat at the dock, sometimes getting to the water is half the adventure. You will be able to catch plenty of Pike, Smallmouth, and Walleye. The owner, Owen, would be able to put together something that would work for you guys that I am sure you would remember for a long time. We are going up there this year for the third time and I can't wait.

One other good thing is that they have packages that are $1080 per person that gets you american plan with 3 days of guiding. I would get owen to guide you for the three days plus maybe one more. Give them a call and talk to Owen.
pikeguy

Re: Adventure ideas?

Postby g_feeser » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Younggun, I have to agree with Larry. I guide multi day raft trips on both the Snake and Salmon rivers. We usually hook at least one or two sturgeon per trip and the smallmouth fishing is unbelievable on the Snake. In fact, after my dad saw the pictures I was sending him he made plans to come with me. The food is outstanding and the fishing is even better. Check out some pics at http://www.idahoafloat.com. Very cool idea for you and your dad.
Last edited by g_feeser on Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
g_feeser

Return to Freshwater Questions