Fishing reel info.??

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Fishing reel info.??

Postby mikesxpress » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:49 am

What are the make/model of the reels that are demo'd on the show in the commercial?
mikesxpress

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 am

If you're referring to this year, the calais dc is the one that gets spooled on a cast without using a thumb for backlash control. THe torsa was also mentioned in regards to speed and winching power.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:42 am

oh, also the curado 300 dsv was mentioned for overall performance using a variety of lures.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Reel question!

Postby mikesxpress » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:18 am

Larry,
I can find the Calais 200DC on Ebay for around $500.00 and normal retail is $649.00 at BPS and Cabela's. Is this reel worth 500 bucks? I have over 30 rods/reels hanging and trade up on the reels about every two years. Never paid that much for a bass reel.

I see the Curado 300 DSV's for less than $200.00 on Ebay.
mikesxpress

Postby dahlberg » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:14 am

HI Mike,
The calais DC represents the cutting edge of reel technology, and it really is a pleasure to fish, especially with lures that are on the borderline in terms of having sufficient weight to cast with a revolving spool reel.
Of course, other than the metalurgy and tolerances, the big feature is the computor chip that anticipates lure velocity decay and electric generator inside the reel that powers the chip. Whether it's worth the money is a subjective decision, but I know that after you fish with one it's pretty hard to put it down and pick up your "old" reel.
The Curado dsv series is tough as nails, has a great drag and gives you a blazing fast retrieve without sacrificing cranking power. In my opinion, as far as pure value for a tough, workhorse reel I cannot imagine anything even close!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby mikesxpress » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:01 pm

Thanks Larry.
I bought one of each off Ebay this past weekend 1 each Curado 300 DSV and 1 each Calais 200DC. Big bucks... They should be here tomorrow.

The Calais 200 DC I want to use for a frog in the grass here in the Potomac behind my house, and also for a big "Smack It" topwater plug for the rock fish. I have never had allot of luck with the Power Pro braided line as it always appears to interlock on the spool and gives me fits when casting. I hope it works on this reel.

You probably need to do a whole board post for the Shimano Reel Rebate that started Dec 1st. You can get up to 50 bucks back on a Curado! This doesn't apply to purchases from an on-line auction. I still saved more than the rebate over a Bass Pro price.
Go here: http://fish.shimano.com/rebate
Mike
mikesxpress

Return to Freshwater Questions