Tying Thread and Nile Perch Tackle

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Tying Thread and Nile Perch Tackle

Postby luccio » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:12 am

CIAO,Larry!

I was watching your video "Flyfishing for pike".
Could you tell me size and brand of the tying thread you were using to tie the mega diver ?
For the weed guard were you using a 0.12" dia. or a 0.18" dia. piano
wire?Is it possible use an electric or acoustic guitar string to do the weed guard?Also,what kind of tackle could you suggest for Nile Perch,on Aswan lake,casting fishing both shore and trolling fishing(model of rod,model of
reel,line,leader,leader's lenght,best lures and colour)?

LUCCIO.
luccio

Postby dahlberg » Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:50 am

whew, that was shot 20 years ago. I use various types of floss for tying deer hair. sometimes just thin, ordinary dental floss.
I'd guess the wire was close to .012. Close to a rock and roll B string with will most certainly work, as will any unwound guitar string.
FOr all around I'd go with a calcutta 400TE. 65lb performance braid. 130# shock leader. Various crankbaits that cover 8'-35' depth, vertical jigs, live bait rigs, depending on time of year and what the fish are doing.
Large size, generally bright colors, but natural always a good bet.
I think the biggest perch key into a very large silver shad like fish (reminds me of a small tarpon) that gets to several pounds, not on the tilapia as everyone trys to tell me.
For trolling I use 3' leader. For casting about half that. usually no snap or swivel.
good luck! ndfei a variety seems to be an advantage.who really jgi
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby luccio » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:37 am

Larry!

Thanks for your reply!You're very kind!
Since I play guitar and my favorite music is the blues,I hope to play with you in future!

Ciao!!!
luccio

Return to Freshwater Questions