La Zona and peacock bass tackle

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

La Zona and peacock bass tackle

Postby luccio » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:18 pm

[color=black][/color]

Hi,
I'm LUCCIO a new entry!
I wish to know some info about the best tackle to use to La Zona and for the brasilian (RIO NEGRO)peacock bass ( casting rods model,casting reels,line(braided),leaders(for dorados,lbs and lenght) and lures:colour,size,models).
CIAO!
luccio

Postby dahlberg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:31 am

Hi L,
I use Calcutte 400TE reels loaded with 65# Sufix performance braid on a Shimano 7-7 1/2 foot MH musky or saltwater baitcasting rod.
Lots of guys prefer 80#.
For pcocks I like to use an 80# hard mono leader. For big Dorados I like 49 strand wire in 90# test.
For Dorados I you want lures that can move super fast without rolling and that are super tough. I don't recommend balsa. You need subsuface lures than run from 2' down to 12-14 feet. Also topwater chuggers and buzzers are excellent when the water is relatively clean. Choose lures that are large enough to handle 2/0-4/0 xtra strong owner trebles and hyperwire split rings.
For pcocks I like minnow lures in sized from 13 to 18cm and large topwater prop and walking baits. Again, bright colors are usually best with the nod going to flourescent greens and chartruese color. My number one all time best producer is a soft plastic minnow rigged with a single treble I call Mr Whiggley. Best color for it is pearl with a bright red tail and yellow with black bars. (these simulate almost exactly two of the primary forage fish in the Amazon Basin.) Hopefully we'll have them on the market in a few months.
best,
L
good luck!
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Thank you,Larry!

Postby luccio » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:47 pm

Thank you Larry for your suggestions!
I have seen your video about the Curado 300 DVHS while you were fishing for dorados(to La Zona,I suppose...) and I have found it amazing!Were you using the same tackle you have suggested to me?
P.S. : Luccio means "pike" in italian.

Ciao and Have a nice day!
luccio

la zona lures

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:10 pm

Luccio:Was at La Zona this April and have fished in the Amazon for peacocks the past 18 years. Best lures for dorados where the giant shap raps in firetiger, cd18 magnum rapalas in firetiger and red/white, 6 in storm wildeye swim shads, and 1 oz jigs such as 8in Lindy tiger tubes. My largest dorados were 45lbs, 44lbs, and 42lbs. Any questions, please e-mail me.
I have a friend going to La Zona the end of October, so should have a report on current fishing conditons when he returns.
I am going again next April 08
Good fishing, Bob Daly 8)
Bob Daly

La Zona & Pecock Bass Tackle

Postby luccio » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:52 am

Hi Bob!
Thanks for your reply 'n suggestions.
Well,I have a doubt about the lenght of the rods and its power.
My friends who go fishing to Brasil(RIO NEGRO) have told to me that casting rods of 5'6''- 6'' MH power with a progressive action are the best choice for peacock.They also use a high speed casting reels as Abu Revo 7.1.1,Shimano Curado 7.1.1 and Daiwa Zillion 7.1.1(this last very expensive!).
What kind of rods (lenght,power,action,brand) and casting reels use you for peacock bass and for la Zona dorados?What line and leaders (lenght and pounds)?
I stay tuned to receive from you your friend's report.
CIAO!
luccio

La Zona/Brazil

Postby Bob Daly » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:37 pm

Luccio: For La Zona, I used 6ft Tony Rizzo Muskie Rods, heavy action. I used 7000 Garcia Ambassadeur reels spooled with 80lbs and 100lbs Power Pro line. I used 18in 135 wire leaders for the dorados. A must for dorados is replacing all trebel hooks with 4x Owner trebles which are extremely sharp. Also, replace all split rings on your lures with extra heavy spilt rings.

For peacocks, I have been fishing at Itapara Lodge. I use the same 6ft Tony Rizzo Muskie Rod and a 6000 Garcia Ambassadeur reel spooled with 60lbs Power Pro line. I do not use a leader for peacocks and have never had any problems. However, when I troll with "live" bait for peacocks, I use a wire leader to prevent biteoffs from piranhas.

Hopefully this helps you out. Any questions, you can e-mail me at
robert_daly@cargill.com

Good fishing, Bob 8)
Bob Daly

Postby luccio » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:04 pm

Hi Bob!
thanks for your precious suggestions!
When you say "I use for dorados 135 lb. wire leaders...",are you talking about piano wire leaders?
CIAO!!!!
luccio

La Zona

Postby Bob Daly » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:55 am

Luccio: Checkout some great dorado photos at the following sites:
www.lazonaadventure.com.br
www.untamedangling.com
8)
Good fishing, Bob
Bob Daly

La Zona 'n peacock bass tackle

Postby luccio » Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:50 am