spawn cures

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

spawn cures

Postby steelysngr » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:16 pm

hey larry, i use a lot of skein and am just curious as too how you like to cure yours? is there a preffered method or recipe you have used and like or do feel that natural is the way to go?
steelysngr

Postby dahlberg » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:33 am

Hi S,
I've no favorite recipe, and only resort to spawn when it's too cold and or dirty for anythng else to work. (then often go to single egg) .
IMO the biggest single thing when it gets tough, is to get what ever you're chucking to "dead drift into a a cube of space about 4" square in front of the fishes mouth, then give it a mico-twitch or two.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby jbird » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:30 pm

Long ago when I used to fish gear :twisted: I had a good cure. Butterfly your skeins and coat them with a thin layer of borax and strawberry gelatin (for color). Let em juice up for an hour or so, pat them dry and then put a sprinkling of rock salt on for another hour. Gently wipe them off. Then I would freeze the skeins over night and then vacuum seal them...that way the roe doesnt crush. I cut it up as I used it so it would milk out really nice. They cam eout very natural but pretty durable...definitly irresistable :wink: I always used small steelhead roe.

Jay
jbird

Postby steelysngr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:52 pm

thanks jbird, but that is one i have already tried, it does catch fish though. one problem with it is the egg texture they are a little softer than i prefer
steelysngr

Return to Freshwater Questions