Big Carp

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Big Carp

Postby fishingman64 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:27 pm

In the lake in my back yard i heard from some neighbors that they have seen a 3 foot carp. i was just wonderin how i would catch the fish? other small ones like worms. if you have any ideas please reply. thanks
Tyler
fishingman64

Postby andy r » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 pm

It might be a grass carp. you can catch them on sweet corn, mulberries, if you have dogwood or cotton wood trees you can find a way to use the fluffy part af the seads. I have seen them eat that in ponds around my area. or if you can see them eating floating algy try to get a bare hook on top of the algy they are eating and see if the suck in the hook with it.
andy r

Postby steelneal » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:45 am

if it is a white amur the lake should be pretty weed free, and i recommend the mulberries too. a mulberry nestles perfect in a No 6 Owner mosquito hook but you need light line to toss it very far. if there is a mulberry tree that over hangs the lake it will hold fish when the berries are dropping- channel catfish and regular carp too. me and my boy caught 15 this year doing just that very thing. this summer try a slice of plum and chum.they like shade
check your drag
Steel Neal
steelneal

Postby fishingman64 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:37 am

It always swimms around this one mulberry bush so i'll try some mulberries. I have probably caught 20 regular carp underneath there and 2 beastly cats in the last week! thanks for the help
Tyler
fishingman64

Postby steelneal » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:22 pm

Cool. i always look forward to that time of year.in addition to the grass carp i caught 9 channel cats one day, but no regular carp.the amur were up to 42" but only around 20# as there isn't much to eat for them unless some landowner throws some grass clippings in to the water while mowing. needless to say they were milling around the mulberry trees in good numbers. we were sightcasting and they would rush the bait when it hit the water. very cool. we were in a kayak so we would try to get away from the tree to avoid spooking the rest of the Amur waiting for berries. bite lasts a couple weeks as the differnt trees ripen at intervals
like i said try a plum slice, i've has success with that
good luck
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:25 am

Hi FM64,
Great thread. I'm 100% behind the Mulberry theory! I wonder what a catfish or carp raised on mulberrys would taste like?
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby andy r » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:04 am

I have eaten carp durring the mullberry feed and they have a nice sweet taste! if they where rased on them they would be great!
andy r

Postby steelneal » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:02 pm

you could have smoked the one i tried to eat as it was so oily. the flesh was super clean and white though
steelneal

big carp

Postby carpo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:06 am

around my place its hard to beat a good size oatmeal ball. the carp love them. just grab a handful of oatmeal and stick your hand in the water to get it wet. then form a ball about the size of a golf ball, and shove the hook in the middle. i like using a circle hook too, just seems to help me out and the fish never get to swallow them. good luck in your carp hunt..Carpo..
carpo

Return to Freshwater Questions