Hello Mr. Dahlberg

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Hello Mr. Dahlberg

Postby AnthonyErickson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:16 pm

Hello sir, you may not remember me, but we've met a few times. Someone you do know is my grandfather, Jerry Edwards. I was looking at the Minnesota Sportsmen Show website and didn't see your name in the seminar section, so I figured I might try ask you a few questions here.

You see, I've seen you catch giant fish, and wanted to do the same. (Don't we all?) But before going after giants I've had the idea in my head that I would like to first catch every known species native to minnesota. So far so good. But I'm missing a few that I would really like to hook up with. The one I'm going to inquire about this time around is the sturgeon.

I know you live in wisconsin and know the waters there quite well, and while fishing in wisconsin might not count as a minnesota fish, I would like to catch a sturgeon this year. So I'm wondering if you have any advice for me to hook up with a fish, or atleast where my odds would be best? Any other tidbits like rod, line, rigs, and bait would also be helpful. I get the whole concept and have seen plenty of youtube videos, but I respect you and your knowledge/expertise on fishing.

I live in the twin cities area of minnesota, just so you know the range that I could try fishing in. Sorry for the length of the inquiry, and I know you're a very busy man, so I shall be patient in waiting for your reply.

A fellow fishing enthusiast,
Anthony Erickson

P.S. Any advice on where I could attempt beating the minnesota state record for carp? I've decided just today that it will be my life long goal to try.
AnthonyErickson

Re: Hello Mr. Dahlberg

Postby dahlberg » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:39 am

there are good populations of sturgeon in the St Croix river all the way from Prescott to the upper river. The Rainy river during the spring sturgeon spawning run is an almost certain bet. Both of these are MN border waters.
good luck
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Bob Daly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:06 pm

Yellow Lake, in Webster Wisconsin has a very good population of sturgeon. Open season is a few weeks in September.
Bob Daly

Postby mark_odegard » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:46 pm

I live in the TC area too, and I'm just starting to explore the spots. If you're ever looking for a fishing partner I'd be willing to join you.

Mark
mark_odegard

Postby JP1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:15 pm

For something closer, I have gotten them in the Minnesota River at the 101 Bridge in Shakopee.
JP1

Return to Freshwater Questions