Lake Erie

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Lake Erie

Postby RhettWheeler » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:03 pm

Hey can anyone recommend a good charter captain for Lake Erie? Looking to target walleyes and probably smallmouth. Trying to decide when would be the best time to go (spring/summer?). Any info or advice would be great! Thanks!

-Rhett
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Re: Lake Erie

Postby ShutUpNFish » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 am

Lake Erie is a pretty BIG lake....Give me more specifics such as - Time of year, area you want to fish, how you want to fish; And I'd be happy to help you out.

Generally Late April into mid June is a good time for the smallmouth fishing here in the central basin of Erie. They run up the creeks come mid April and thats a blast...I use my centerpin to catch 'em on jigs (Its a short window though...2 weeks tops) Also fish Presque Isle Bay All of May into June until I hit the lake for the resident walleye. The walleye trolling bite out in the lake doesn't usually get hot until approx. mid July in this region. However, you could fish the jig bite in the western basin provided that the water is fishable which is always hit and miss in the spring. It is also pretty crowded out on the reefs in the spring out there (definitely fun though if you hit it right).

You can certainly PM me if you would like some more detailed info - I know some good guides out this way....good luck.

Paul
Visit us at: www.bdfishermanspub.freeforums.org
ShutUpNFish

Return to Freshwater Questions