LM Bass thru the ice

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

LM Bass thru the ice

Postby steelneal » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:22 pm

Dear Larry the King,

i caught a bunch of largemouth thru the ice last year on tip-ups and minnow rods, but the action slows way down in the middle of ice season.early ice is good , late ice is fantastic. where would you look for them in natural lakes, Northeast Ohio in February?

Also how's about reservoir musky thru the ice? There is no closed season in ohio on muskies. Any general ideas on locations for them?

You're the King
Steel Neal

ps-how big was yer largest Alaskan Pike?

pps. Anybody else out there got any suggestions? i'd truely appreciate any input. Thanks!
steelneal

Postby dahlberg » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:07 pm

Hi SN
The lgmth are probably in the same locations as you caught them early, but they're slowed way down. LMB are caught around here (1 hour north of mpls) all winter, with the most activity coming during early and late ice near shallow bays.
I'd look for muskies in the same areas as pike would be, i.e. where ever the most food is.. Could be in 3' of water, could be in 30! Likely they'll be adjacent to where an outside riverbend bumps into land adjacent to a good food shelf.
My biggest AK pike didn't get weighed, but it was 54"x30". I'd guess it was over 40#.
good luck,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby steelneal » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:31 pm

That sounds like where i am fishing down here in the buckeye state.
i've got some new electronics so i'll try to find some a little deeper this winter.(pray for good weather)
i haven't seen the video but that large a pike seems to me to be more likely to be in the the 50's,no?
Ah but you said over 40 not how much over!
Got to check some fish weight calculators see if my hunch is correct Thanks again Larry !
You are the King
steelneal

Return to Freshwater Questions