Shimano Tranx with Predator rod for Musky

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Shimano Tranx with Predator rod for Musky

Postby dhacker » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am

Hi Larry. Great show.

I have two questions:

I have done as much homework on the Internet as information is available on the Tranx. Being I live in MN, I went to Thorne Bros and had both of the Tranx you were using in my hand. I asked the person assisting me which reel would be the best for a weekend warrior. I get to muskie fish every other weekend and have an "indoor" job so my muscles are not in as good of shape as say a carpenter or bricklayer. I currently have two (2) Calcutta TE 400s and want to increase speed to burn #10 cowgirls. The Thorne Bros rep said whenever you have the choice between power or speed, always pick speed.

My first question is what is your recommendation of which reel to purchase; power or speed?

I picked up a 2009 Ranger Z520 August 1 and just before Labor day I purchase a XH Predator 9' from Thorne Bros. Then labor day weekend I broke my collar bone and wasn't able to go muskie fishing for the rest of the year. So question #2 is can you confirm that this rod is a good rod for the Tranx and burning #10 cowgirls?

Thanks for your recommendations.

Don
dhacker

Re: Shimano Tranx with Predator rod for Musky

Postby Bantam1 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:22 am

Don,

I am not Larry but I would say place your trust in Thorne Bros. They have an excellent staff and are very knowledgeable when it comes to fishing. They always impress me when I come out to work the event in April. I'm sure Larry will chime in soon on the reel choice.

Dan
Bantam1

Postby RhettWheeler » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:52 pm

I think in a previous thread Larry said the 4.6 would be better for muskies. It still retrives like 30" per crank or something crazy. so that's still pretty darn fast.
"Fear not the man who knows 10,000 kicks but has practiced them one time. Fear the man who knows one kick and has practiced it 10,000 times."
RhettWheeler

Postby Brian D » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:36 pm

Great topic! I've been considering the 400 te but now ill check out the trans, thanks guys!
Hunt for the big ones
Brian D

Postby dhacker » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:51 pm

I bought the power reel and having used it now am really glad I did.
dhacker

Postby box » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:33 pm

I don't have a Tranx but I do have a Predator 9-6 XH and a 9-6 H. I ended up putting the Trinidad 16N on the XH cause I like how well the tip on the XH holds up in the 8 wen pulling big blades. I would guess the Tranx would be just as good. I have a 400 TE on my H action rod. Great all around setup and my go to for fishing big blades at night when I want to slow roll. I broke it in on a 46 last night and was very happy. The 9-6 can make netting them a bit of an adventure if you're alone but unless it's a PB no reason to bother with then net. Sorry I ramble a bit. All things considered, since you already have a TE you're covered for slower work with blades id consider the fast model so you have warp speed as an option. I think a burned Waxwing on the fast Tranx will be a lot of fun. I know I love it on the Trin.

As an aside a buddy called today wondering where he can get his Saltist AND Toro serviced. Both less than a year old. I suggested getting me both fixed and then Ebaying them for a Tranx or a TE. Hands down I don't think Shimanos quality can be touched.
box

Shimano Calcuuta TE 400.

Postby Brian D » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Hi Dan, I had to rule out the Tranx as i am left handed, but was wondering why there is so many different Calcutta models? i would only need it for Pike, i usually throw Musky sized baits, just wanted your opinion, i am totally satisfied with my 5000 FL's but would like to eventually try a baitcaster.

Thanks
Hunt for the big ones
Brian D

Return to Freshwater Questions