drag settings for peacock bass and news from colombia

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

drag settings for peacock bass and news from colombia

Postby andresbotero » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:31 am

Hi Larry, I just arrived from fishing in el tomo river in colombia. I fished with luis rincon (who happened to be your guide when you fished there)...fishing was great. Biggest fish on the boat was a 19 pounder. Got many fish over 15 pounds.
I lost the biggest peacock I have hooked in my life to an open hook (it was a marine lures TNT woodchopper, that they make in brazil)...
I lost some other big fish and was wandering if it had to do with the drag settings of my curado 301. I don´t know if I had too strong a drag setting. I didn´t seem to have the issue of loosing fish with the curado 201 (wich can not stop a big peacock from going into the bush).
I like to bring fish in fast for realising purposes by mantainging a strong drag setting. After loosing some big fish by what I guess was literaly ripping the bait out or their mouths I tryed loosening the drag after the fish was hooked and away from cover. I lost some big fish this way too.

I didn´t used to think so much about the drag settings prior to loosing so many big fish...Do you think it had something to do with it?
I used owner 2x hooks (4x hooks don´t seem to penetrate that well in my experience). I guess I need some imput on the subject to get my confidence back. By the end of the trip I dind´t know what drag setting to use anymore.
I hope you can help...

Andrés Botero
Medellin
Colombia
andresbotero

Re: drag settings for peacock bass and news from colombia

Postby Dan Hanon » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 pm

Andres,

I'm no Larry, but I have had a similar experience. I lost a very big peacock on a straightened jig hook-twice on consecutive casts! Turns out, the jig hooks just weren't strong enough to hold up at what I considered an appropriate drag setting. I was using 30# Power Pro on a Shimano Stradic spinning reel.

I recommend this, use slightly stronger hooks, like Owner ST-66 in 2/0 or larger and VMC 4x cone cutting in 1/0, on appropriately sized lures. Obviously, you don't want to ruin the lure's action by weighing it down too much. Regarding the drag, maybe set it tighter initially for hook set, but plan on loosening up on it quickly if you think you have a big one. Instead of horsing the peacock in, let him take line and tire out, even if he runs to cover. The harder you fight him, the harder he'll pull back, so just let him tire. BTW, I would like to fish in Columbia sometime, just need more time and $$.
Dan Hanon

Postby dahlberg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:30 pm

Dan's right!
Plus, with a small boat and heavy drag you usually just pull the boat to the fish!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby andresbotero » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks dan, larry...I hope to have better luck next month when I go to a new place in colombia where no one has fished before (at least sport fishing).
It's so far we have to rent a plane to get there...
Will keep you informed.
Andres Botero
Medellin (colombia)
andresbotero

Return to Freshwater Questions