Waxwing ??

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Waxwing ??

Postby box » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:48 pm

This lure sure seems like it would fit the bill nicely for some applications. I'm wondering though, other than the different colors I'm wondering I'd there's any advantage to getting the freshwater version. Bathe reason I ask is that I'll be in FLA in a few months and figured I'd just buy one and use it down there and bring it home.

Also, I think I may know the answer but can you fish it too fast? In wondering if the Trinidad, Curado, or 400TE is the best reel to throw it with.

Thanks- erik
box

Re: Waxwing ??

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 am

Hi E
It's a very interesting lure. It casts like a missile and can operate at a very wide range of speeds, but excels at the high end. They also have a musky version that's equipped with two trebles, one front and one in back, instead of the big double hook on the rear.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby ajelstein » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:45 pm

I have found them to be very effective in some cases...particularly where speed is triggering fish. So far I have only used them in South FL and they were very effective on barracuda and variouse species of jacks. They hold up incredibly well to the cudas although hook sets are sometimes an issue due to teeth locking down on the plastic and preventing the lure from sliding in the fishes mouth to set the hook. As Larry says they cast like a rocket even in the smallest size on 65lbd power pro. They are also extremely snag resistant so although they are not cheep I have not lost one yet in about 12 days spent fishing them. I have not tried them in fresh water yet but I will when the situation is right.

I have fished them using a curado 301e and a Calcutta 201dc which worked fine but requires some very fast cranking depending on the presentation speed needed (the cudas prefered the fastest retrieve I could manage)...something faster would definately be prefered...I would love to buy a tranx for this but won't spend that kind of money if a have to settle for a right hand reel.

Thanks for bringing to my attention that they added a fresh water line, I can't see any harm in buying the salt version for both applications unless of course the fishing situation calles for one of the unique attributes of the fresh water model as in the case of having a forward mounted treble for Muskie. I am curious how the double treble model runs without the rear hook, please let me know if you try it.

Regards,

Andy
ajelstein

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:07 pm

I agree. Taking the tail hook off the freshwater version really makes it dance. adding a small ring with a flashabou tail half the length of the lure is also a good trick.
I love to really get them sizziling on the surface with the back fin sticking up! Very, very cool and innovative lure. I've had a blast tossing and burning with the high speed TranX for tuna, and a long list of other species!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rbenash » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:14 pm

So Larry - in your experience with them how important/effective was removal of rear hook on freshwater and what was the over all effectiveness or priority of importance to dressing the rear hook in salt?

I guess I'm asking - are these good enough out of the box or are mods required to make them especially effective?
rbenash

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:08 am

They are very effective straight out of the box. I added flashabou with the intent of making the ones I had appear larger before any large ones were available!
You almost have to see it in the water to believe how it moves. It's a very unusual, unique and original lure.
The forward positioned dorsal and ventral fin is fascinating and in principal no doubt can be applied to other designs.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rbenash » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks Larry for the additional info. The WW I have now are 118 and 68. 118 I want to use in the salt for throwing from the boat off shore/inshore on the Cape as well as from the shore wading in the Cape Cod Canal. That's the reason I bought the 8ft MH Terez WW (nice rod) and the Tranx as I like LP baitcasters given the option. The 68's look like they are salt model as they have the single double hook off the back. Those two were what I was planning to experiment with in FW in the Susquehanna, Delaware, Juanita rivers in PA. The colors in the 68 look like they should work based on what I catch on in hard jerks and cranks in those waters. What's the disadvantage if any in using these 68's in FW? I Like that they have single tail hooks. I think I would like to remove the double tail hook and replace it with a dressed treble. Wondering if using the small SW versions might be better with the single hook design.

Another thought with the smaller versions is that I FW fish 99% from a kayak. It will be interesting to see if i can get the action in that position. I.E. seated, pretty much at waterline. I use 7' rods from the yack. Will be throwing these little guys with a Kistler Helium MH or H. I'll be using either a Shimano 200e or 300e for that pairing.
rbenash

Postby dahlberg » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:03 am

No problem to switch out hooks if you wish. Should be no problem fished from a yak. No twitching or jerking needed to make them swim in a wild zig zag, although if you get the timing right on a very short snap and pause they do some pretty cool stuff.. I've had best success really burning them, even getting them to sizzle a little on top.
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby rbenash » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:43 am

Thanks Larry, that technique sounds pretty easily done. I can do WTD technique very successfully this actually sounds easier.
rbenash

Postby rbenash » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 am

Another question on the Tranx. I am thinking of having a 10'6" to 11 foot surf casting rod built from a Century for Cape Cod Canal use. No problem throwing heavier plugs, swimmers, metals and perhaps some jigging? Can I assume 3-4 oz weight lures wouldn't be an issue? Curious what the heaviest you were throwing was??

Apologies, guess I should move this to saltwater forum.
rbenash

Postby Bantam1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:19 am

The tranx will handle the heavier lures with no issue. The largest waxwing we offer is over 4 ounces now.
Bantam1

Postby rbenash » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:50 am

Thanks!
rbenash

Return to Freshwater Questions