Muskie Situation

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Muskie Situation

Postby hooks40 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:19 am

We're finally frozen out here in NJ. Time for some winter projects. I've ordered all of my goop for a number of projects, but I've got one I could use some help with from this board.

We fish in Ontario every year in late June. At that time, there is a section of water that is probably 700-800 yards long that has emerging spatterdock. (some on the surface and some below) These are like tiny lily pads that are very fragile and break off easily. When your lure hits them, they break off and and stay attached to your hooks, snap, leader, etc. There is some emerging cabbage and there are are plenty of Muskies in there at that time of the year.

Spinnerbaits, topwaters and the like get bogged down pretty quickly in the stuff. I've tried magnum Toads with weedless hooks rigged texas style as well. The only thing we've had consistent success on was small poppers. Cast to an open pocket, pop it and sit, pop, pop and sit. If the fish are within 6-8 feet, they will charge over and grab it. The only problem is you are only covering a small section of the water, you can't cast deep into the cover and the poppers are poor hooking lures.

I need a lure that can go through this stuff with rigging that wont get snagged on the spatterdock. I speculate that if I could make a long cast back into that stuff and reel it back with a minimum debris, I may be in Muskie heaven. I was thinking about a tube shape lure with all attachments and single treble baked inside the tube.

What do you guys think? Anybody ever fish this stuff and what do you use? I'm open to design ideas for a lure as well. I have until June to complete it!!

Steve
hooks40

Re: Muskie Situation

Postby dahlberg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:44 am

Hi H
Think Slop Bass methods. From somewhat primitive, but effective Johnson Silver Minnow style spoons (suggest filing barb down on factory model) to frogs, bullet head jigs, etc. Use a twist melt type leader connection to avoid weeds. 45-60# nylon coated wire. Strong single hook. If you design a broader spoon, (I use hard resin and a big keel weighted swim bait hook) you can make it snake across or just below the surface with the hook up at a variety of speeds.
Cross between a moss boss and a silver minnow...
Good luck!
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Muskie Situation

Postby aka anglinarcher » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:28 pm

I fish spatterdock in the Pacific Northwest for Tiger Muskie. That stuff can be tough to fish in. But, like Larry said, think slop fishing for Bass. :idea:

I have molded up some 12" rubber worms, almost 3/4" round, mixing with microballons, to get a floating worm large enough to float a big hook, and also heavy enough to cast. The 8/0 Trokar works well. I also add some hardner to it because action is not a big deal and I want it to be able to handle that cast.

I cut a slit in the worm so the hook can move, and then rig it skin hooked, Texas style.

I rig leaders like Larry suggested.

You can cast this sucker a country mile and drag it across the top. You can pause in the open holes as well.

Note: You will catch one or two Muskie on it and then they cut it to pieces. Oh Well, better to have caught and released then to have never fished. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions