Lure making materials

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Lure making materials

Postby jimpope » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 am

Larry, About 20 years ago there was a craw fish lure made by the Keeper Bait Company that was made of a material called hydro foam. The lure was called the Dance's Craw and it has been out of production for many years. Do you sell or are you aware of any lure making product that is similar to this material. It is very durable but still very realistic. Also what material should I use if I need a hard plastic piece fully encased in a softer plastic body.
jimpope

Re: Lure making materials

Postby dahlberg » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 am

Hmmm hydro foam. The only thing that comes to mind is a product originally designed as a sponge for the medical industry that was used for a few fishing lure bodies. I actually saved some and still have a few. The stuff I have is almost weightless, stiff and hard when totally dry, then gets totally flexible, like wet chamois, when tossed in the water.
I have no idea how to recreate it!
You could use our standard hard plastic or any of the Flex series for the inner part, then either mold or dip it in alumisol.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Re: Lure making materials

Postby aka anglinarcher » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:00 pm

I think I still have one of those crawfish. If it what I think it is, it is different then the foam that Larry is talking about.

Larry, let me know if you would like me to mail you the lure. You can look at the foam, rip it apart, whatever to try to identify it. To me, it looks a lot like Flex 30 with big air bubbles in it.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions