Nanofil

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Nanofil

Postby sakamotok » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:47 pm

Anyone out there having trouble with Berkley Nanofil knots? Mainly I have trouble joining the Nanofil to a fluorocarbon leader. I have 12# Nanofil and tried 20#, then 30# Fluorocarbon, but the leader gets cut clean by the Nanofil knot on a hard jerk through the weeds or hard hookset (luckily only a small muskie). I have tried back to back uni knots, albright specials and even surgeon's knots... same result. I do not have this problem joining super braid to fluorocarbon. Any one else having this problem or have any advice?
Regards,
Ken
Ken
"A little bit of pain never hurt anyone."
sakamotok

Re: Nanofil

Postby lunchbox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:31 am

Nanofil is a great line, up to a point. The knot that works best for me is the alberto knot. It is a modified albright knot and i have had less problems with it than most of the other knots. I had enough problems with nanofil that i have gone back to power pro for everything except my bass fishing, drop shot rigs. I can use 10lb nanofil with a 4-6lb leader with those and have no break off/cut through problems. I also had a few issues with Nanofil fraying out very badly. I believe that gen 2 should resolve most of the problems we are having with nanofil currently. I hope it happens soon enough to keep people from writing it off completely.

Brandon
Teaching fish the meaning of TANSTAAFL one day at a time.
lunchbox

Postby aka anglinarcher » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Have you tried the FG knot, or the Sebile knot? If you can tighten the knot well enough, it should solve your splice issues. There is NO knot in the leader at all and the force of the Nanofil would be distributed over the length of the knot (~1")

I have no way to show anyone, but ...... I have modified a knot I now call the Bimini splice. lay the two lines over each other, leader end going one way and the main line the other way, just as you would with a double uni.

Now wrap one over the other. It does not matter which one. Do this until you are tired (I like 50 to 75 times on slick lines). Don't skimp on the tag ends. I prefer to have a couple of feet extra to work with.

Now gently start to tighten the tags ends while holding the leader end and main line sationary. I know, it sounds like it takes 4 hands, but I find that I can put the main line and leader ends under heavy books, etc., to hold it.

When you are close to being snug, pinch the mono/floro side with your fingers and then start to pull firmly on the main line side, JUST LIKE A bimini twist know does. And just like the bimini twist, when it is so tight it wants to wrap over itself, let it but control it as you let it wrap over itself until you allow it to wrap doen to the leader.

I wish I could show you how it is done, and perhaps I can find a camera good enough to post this on YouTube in the future, but for now, I hope this may help.

The final part is to do a form of lock knot. I use a whip finnish type knot like what is used in fly tying.
Last edited by aka anglinarcher on Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Postby sakamotok » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:12 am

Thanks to both of you for the tips. I'll experiment a little with the new knots "in the lab", before I hit the water.
Regards,
Ken
Ken
"A little bit of pain never hurt anyone."
sakamotok

Postby aka anglinarcher » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Ken, you are smart to test in the lab first.
It took me several times to figure the two knots out. :lol:
I think my bucket list has a hole in the bottom!
aka anglinarcher

Return to Freshwater Questions