Alligator gar hookups

Questions about Freshwater Fishing

Alligator gar hookups

Postby Cal » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:17 am

Good Morning, Larry.

Now that I have my health back, I've started branching out in my fishing. I'm beginning to get into alligator gar. I don't know if you ever fished for them, but here is the 4-11:

Most who fish for them with hook and line use large (10/0 or so) trebles. When the gar picks up the bait, he swims off with it for quite a distance before he stops to turn it and swallow (it isn't uncommon to let the fish swim for 3 or 4 minutes before setting the hook). That usually results in the fish being throat or gut-hooked. Naturally, fish are almost never released because of the almost certain mortality.

To me, this is unacceptable. There has to be an alternative to killing almost every fish you hook. I love alligator gar. They appeal to the brute thug in me. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Cal
I drank what?
--Socrates
Cal

Re: Alligator gar hookups

Postby dahlberg » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:52 am

Check out the Magic Muskie hook rig. I think it's on my facebook page or Utube. I think it would work, but you'd have to really watch out for teeth when removing the bait to invert the hook. Maybe heavy leather gloves. I made a "grabber" out of a long nosed vice grip with a double hook brazed to one nose and a singe to the other so they oppose each other. I use it to grip the bait and pull it out of the fishes throat. Works amazingly well. Have used it on several hundred muskies with no mortality so far. sorry so long in responding. this got buried somehow!
best
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to Freshwater Questions