Cabo/San Jose Del Cabo

General Questions

Cabo/San Jose Del Cabo

Postby Blaineski » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:01 am

Larry-
Great show, got it set on my DVR so I don't miss an episode.
I'm lucky enough to be heading down to Cabo/San Jose Del Cabo in mid March and would like to do some fishing. I was wondering if you could suggest any guides down there you are familiar with and would recommend.

In addition, if I decide to do any fishing from shore, do you have any recommendations for tactics/lures/bait.

Thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the great work!
Blaineski

Postby dahlberg » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:47 am

Hi B.
Sorry, don't have any info on guides down there.
Maybe someone who reads this does, and will be kind enough to share it with you.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby Phil Chavez » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:55 pm

Almost every guide is about the same as far as the ones on boats.

As far as shore fishing, use Castmaster, Krocadiles, Surface Poppers, Rattle Traps, and Jointed Rapalas. I have caught everything from Roosterfish to snappers, from shore, using these lures.

Use a 7' to 8' rod with 10 to 15 pound test. If it is a rocky shore, then jump up to 20 to 30 pound to stop the fish from going in the rocks.

The best stops to fish are ones that you do not see many people at. I always look for the out of the way place to produce twice as much as I would a a public area.

Good Luck...Phil.......>))))>
Phil "Fishing with Phil" Chavez
Phil Chavez

Postby jbird » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:46 pm

Check out this outfit out of san jose del cabo. The owner, Eric Brikston is a great guy and he's american. His pangueros are mexican but they are top notch. I've been out a couple times with Jesus, he's an awesome, hard working panguero. Eric will answer your emails.
Heres his link
http://www.gordobanks.com/

Jay

Thats Jesus on the left and me with a huge rooster.

jbird

Postby Randall Bryett » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:47 pm

G'day,

Wow this is a much better board Larry!

Blaineski you might check out or at the very least have a chat with Grant Hartman down in Cabo. http://www.baja-anglers.com
We have fished with him and or the Baja Anglers crew many times. The Glacier Cats they use make excellent fishing platforms that get to the grounds fast and comfortably. Pangas are ok for inshore or until the first bit of shitty wind kicks in however even in against the shoreline and surf the cats are best for those wanting to fish efficiently. It is a more costly option and you might want to book ahead but better bang for buck in my opinion for active fisho's. If you are more into trolling etc there are plenty of folks waiting to take you out in Cabo.

Good Luck Mate
Randall

Randall Bryett

Return to General Questions