New lure to me

General Questions

New lure to me

Postby kj197728 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:59 pm

Larry,

I had never heard of or seen that lure called a ball buzzer that was on the show with dorado. Where have I been that I missed this lure all these years? Where did that lure come from (handmade lure?) and how does it stand up to those fish? Would liked to have seen that one in more action. Great show to start off the season. Love the Shimano reels and testing of them that were done. Thanks.
kj197728

Postby dahlberg » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:35 am

Hi KJ,
Thanks for the post. I'm glad you enjoyed the show!
You're right, the ball buzz is a little suspicious. And also right about it being something I conjured up in my workshop. It was by far the best surface lure in terms of getting bites, being easy to cast and retrieve and most of all, not being destroyed.
It consists of 49 strand cable, a series of 1/2" wooden balls, counter rotating buzz blades and what ever hooks you care to intersperse at the end or between the balls. You'd have seen more of the lure except it got eaten fairly early in the game.
I also rigged a small stuffed rabbit behind the buzzers, and it too got bit, but was a lousy hooker. We left it with the guard at the dam who watched us fish all week!
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Return to General Questions