Knot having much luck revisited

General Questions

Knot having much luck revisited

Postby greyghost » Tue May 01, 2007 7:09 am

Larry
I sent you an earlier query about the fact that I was having trouble connecting 50 lb. ProwerPro and a 50 lb. fluorocarbon leader. I tried the bimini knot in the braided line and two uni knots to connect them. The fluorocarbon uni knot came out bulky and did not go easily through the guides. I wound up using a reverse Albright to connect the two. One of your readers suggested a Slim Beauty knot and I test tied that a few times. It is easy to tie and makes a connection that passes easily through the guides. I still would like your input, am I sacrificing too much breaking srtength by going to the more low profile knots? I will be using this setup (with a Curado 300DSV) primairly for cobia and tripletail in my area. As I am sure you know , they hang around channel markers, oil and gas rigs and the like and can't be played gingerly like a alpine lake Golden trout but have to be locked down on and dragged away from the structure. Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby dahlberg » Tue May 01, 2007 10:19 am

The double uni, or even an albright doesn't really go through the guides, or if you're using a really long leader, the level wind on the reel, too well, especially if you're having to make long or accurate casts.
You might try using a wind-on leader in conjunction with your bimini.
It's the strongest and slickest of any connection you can use.
best,
L
Larry Dahlberg
The Hunt For Big Fish
dahlberg
Site Admin

Postby greyghost » Tue May 01, 2007 10:33 am

Larry
Excuse my stupidity, but that is my question. What knot to use that will connect to the bimini in the braided line and pass through the guides easily. I like to make my leaders about 6 feet long so I guess that could qualify as a wind-on leader.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby greyghost » Tue May 01, 2007 11:50 am

Larry

No need to respond. I did some checking online and discovered that a wind-on leader is an entirely different thing than I thought it was. I will just tie the smallest connection I can and hope for the best. I've lost fish before because of knots failing and the world did not end.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby SnookChaser » Tue May 01, 2007 6:36 pm

Folks:
Try the midnight o midknot.
Regards,
Snookchaser
Born To Fish... Forced To Work..>)))º>
SnookChaser

New knot?

Postby greyghost » Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 am

Snookchaser

Pretty cool motto and fish design but I cannot find the midnight o midknot anywhere.

Greyghost
greyghost

Postby SnookChaser » Wed May 02, 2007 4:57 pm

Born To Fish... Forced To Work..>)))º>
SnookChaser

Return to General Questions